[CupcakeKleidoscope] CUPCAKE KALEIDOSCOPE # 17 3/27/03

cupcakekaleidoscope chris at electrichands.com
Fri Mar 28 03:27:30 CET 2003

øø,€  ¸¸,€  ø¤º°`€  °º¤ø,€  ¸¸,€
ø¤º°`€  °º¤øø

CUPCAKE KALEIDOSCOPE # 17 3/27/03

Newsletter from Cor[porat]e [Per]form[ance] Art[ists]

Publisher & Executive Editor - joseph and donna

www.corporatepa.com
www.electrichands.com
call us 646 279 2309

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER CUPCAKEKALEIDOSCOPE - send email to
CupcakeKleidoscope-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

øø,€  ¸¸,€  ø¤º°`€  °º¤ø,€  ¸¸,€
ø¤º°`€  °º¤øø

TABLE OF CONTENTS

ARTWORK - WNYC ONLINE ART
NOMAD UPDATE
EXPERIENCE THE BRONX
FLOWER EXPRESSIONS – PAINTINGS BY JOSEPH & DONNA
FRIENDS OF BROOK PARK – BLOSSOM FESTIVAL
OPENING AT BOMBORA HOUSE
COPYRIGHT OFFICE HOLDING PUBLIC HEARINGS ON CIRCUMVENTION
DEEP DISH CABARET
EXCEPTIONS
OVERCOMING THE ETHICS OF FEAR
I LEFT MY BLEEDING HEART IN SAN FRANCISCO
EYE WASH
AIM TO CREATE 'SENSITIVE' PCS
ARABIC IN, ENGLISH OUT
SURVEILLANCE NATION
EVENT - ART TALK AT BITFORMS
ARTWORK - WORLD OF AWE: PORTAL
A QUINE
SUMMIT ON INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND THE KNOWLEDGE ECONOMY
METAPHOR AND WAR, AGAIN
BAILA TANGO'S 4TH ANNUAL TANGO TRIP TO ISTANBUL
TODAY, I WEEP FOR MY COUNTRY...
SMART DUST
DNA LEADERS CALL RELIGION TO ACCOUNT
POEMS WRITTEN ONE EVENING IN STARBUCKS

øø,€  ¸¸,€  ø¤º°`€  °º¤ø,€  ¸¸,€
ø¤º°`€  °º¤øø

ARTWORK - WNYC ONLINE ART

Check out our submissions to the WNYC Radio Online Art Exhibition. Be
sure to click on birds, doors, and moving pieces.

http://www.electrichands.com/sketches/webster
http://www.electrichands.com/renga

http://www.wnyc.org

øø,€  ¸¸,€  ø¤º°`€  °º¤ø,€  ¸¸,€
ø¤º°`€  °º¤øø

NOMAD UPDATE

What's a nomad to do? When the confines of small quarters (though
of
limited winter habitation, sufficient for morale degradation to
occur) are no longer suffered due to a lack of temperate conditions,
a journey out into the day measured by a newly risen mercury is not
only called for but demanded with loud, racing thumping of the heart.

Where to go? Where to go? Somewhere new, yet a deficit of adequate
funds presents an obstacle to reaching a location far or exotic.  An
answer, presented by a friendly acquaintance, is to remain within our
borough (and not our hole). For lo and behold, the Bronx has a
beach!  Orchid Beach, of Sam Moses long ago plotting and building (to
the detriment of determined, yet unremembered local squatters who
lost their paradise to urban planning).

Thus, on the Wednesday most recent, we left in pursuit of adventure
and leisure, on renewed bicycles and legs.  First a short trip on the
elegant (or so we imagined for the day) train called the 6 Subway.
Then we followed a delightful trail through woods, monuments,
asphalt, and puddles to the glorious entrance of a still deserted
(soon to be overcrowded) beach.  The wind was perfect, the sun was
correct.   But desertion has its drawbacks, specifically, a lack of
commercial establishments proffering up food and drink. Thus we
continued our journey, along the boardwalk and subsequent park trail,
crossing a newly green-painted bridge into a little village on an
island called cleverly enough, City Island.  Here we used our little
funds to purchase big relief in the form of pizza, pie, and bottled
water.  It was a romantic moment, on a wonderful day, to sit on a
wall and eat with a loved one, overlooking a bay after stimulating
exercise.

øø,€  ¸¸,€  ø¤º°`€  °º¤ø,€  ¸¸,€
ø¤º°`€  °º¤øø

EXPERIENCE THE BRONX

DON'T MISS THE GARDEN OF JOSEPH & DONNA
FLOWER EXPRESSION – PAINTINGS FOR THE SPRING
***SPECIAL OFFER – OPEN A CHECKING ACCOUNT AT THIS BRANCH AND
RECEIVE
6 MONTHS FREE!!!***

When:		Friday March 28, 2003
Where:		The Chase Bank
		270 East 137th St @ 3rd Ave
Directions:	Take the # 6 subway to 3rd ave & 138th St, first stop
in the Bronx.  It is best to ride close to the last car , which
allows you to exit right across the street from the bank. When you
find yourself on the corner of 138th St & 3rd ave walk one block
south.

Contact:	joseph & donna 646-279-2309  donna at electrichands.com

Richard Gonzalez, branch manager, is hosting our flower expression
garden at this Bronx branch of Chase bank.  This flower expression
show will be available during regular banking hours which are Mon-Fri
8:30am to 4pm.  The Bronx is all a buzz about our flower expression
series.  Stay tuned for more information on additional locations as
we continue to toil away, springing into the Bronx with the flower
expressions of joseph & donna.

øø,€  ¸¸,€  ø¤º°`€  °º¤ø,€  ¸¸,€
ø¤º°`€  °º¤øø*****

FRIENDS OF BROOK PARK – BLOSSOM FESTIVAL

Brook Park
141st St & Brook Ave

Take the #6 subway to Brook Ave, the intersection of 138th St and
Brook & walk 3 blocks north

For more info, please call 718-401-3616 or 718-742-7832 or email
brookpark141 at hotmail.com

Sunday April 6, 2003

Celebrate the opening of the Japanese cherry blossoms with sushi,
poetry, Mime Noh performance and drums.

Friends of Brook Park is a coalition of residents, parents,
educators, workers, home and business owners and community based
organizations dedicated to managing and revitalizing an important and
unique open green space.  Currently at an exciting juncture, leading
the redesign of a concrete portion of the park, all are invited to
get involved and be supportive.  To learn more about how this local
project fits with national efforts, visit
www.livingmemorialsproject.net

øø,€  ¸¸,€  ø¤º°`€  °º¤ø,€  ¸¸,€
ø¤º°`€  °º¤øø**

OPENING AT BOMBORA HOUSE

"ZEN WEAPONS" BY SEAN LYON
at BOMBORA HOUSE GALLERY
400 W. 13th St. @ 9 Ave  (the Meat packing District of Manhattan)
New York City, NY 10014
phone/fax: 212. 989. 9499
bombora.house at verizon.net

OPENING RECEPTION:  	Friday, March 28th 6-9pm
EXHIBITION DATES:       	March , 28th- April 27th 2003

Bombora House Gallery presents "Zen Weapons", an exhibition featuring
the work of artist Sean Lyon. Lyon a former student of Gerrit
Rietveld Academie (Amsterdam) and Parsons School of Design (New York)
is a sculptor and self-proclaimed "urban American Folk Artist". A
cross between "ready-mades" and assemblage, Lyon's objects are
meditations on weaponry and mankind's primal fascination with
tools
of sport, war, and destruction.

Gallery director Melinda Brown views the theme of Lyon's work
as "contemplation on how enlightenment is delayed by the
seductive
nature of violence and power."

Bombora House Gallery has been an "underground" hub of artistic
fervor and ferment since the year 2000. Bombora House has a
publishing component, Bombora House Editions, which publishes limited
edition artbooks, poetry, and experimental writing.

øø,€  ¸¸,€  ø¤º°`€  °º¤ø,€  ¸¸,€
ø¤º°`€  °º¤øø**

COPYRIGHT OFFICE HOLDING PUBLIC HEARINGS ON CIRCUMVENTION EXCEPTIONS

Washington -- The U.S. Copyright Office has announced that it will
hold public hearings -- in both Washington and California -- in its
rulemaking on the possible exemptions to the prohibition against
circumvention of technological measures that control access to
copyrighted works. The controversial section 1201 of the Digital
Millennium Copyright Act in question has led to the prosecution of
Russian programmer Dmitry Sklyarov, teen-aged Norwegian DeCSS creator
Jon Johansen, and a company that makes software that allows foreign
toner cartridges to work in printers. The hearings will seek to
determine whether there are particular "classes of works" as to which
users are, or are likely to be, adversely affected in their ability
to make non-infringing uses if they are prohibited from circumventing
such technological measures. Hearings will be held in Washington,
D.C., on April 11, April 15, April 30, and May 2, 2003; dates for
California hearings during May have yet to be announced.

http://www.copyright.gov/1201/index.html#hearings

øø,€  ¸¸,€  ø¤º°`€  °º¤ø,€  ¸¸,€
ø¤º°`€  °º¤øø

 DEEP DISH CABARET COORDINATES

When:  Saturday April 5, 2003
           9pm to 2:00 a.m.
           First four acts 10:30,
           Second four acts 12:00

Where:  675 Hudson, buzzer 3N, @ 14th and 9th
(There are two 675's On That Block. Look for our sign on the
door.)

Cover:  $10 No reservations necessary, bring your friends, 21 & over.

2) DER LINE-UP

Chris Rozzi — For his first appearance at the cabaret, on March
15,
Rozzi did Shakespeare as a stand-up comedian, replete with the foofy
collar, Shakespeare wig and black tights. World-class comedy.
He's
coming back on the 5th to do another character, a boy named Delmonte
who just completed 7 years of obedience school.

We suspect the Katz Brothers will be performing and Zero Boy but have
to confirm that.

øø,€  ¸¸,€  ø¤º°`€  °º¤ø,€  ¸¸,€
ø¤º°`€  °º¤øø***

OVERCOMING THE ETHICS OF FEAR

In a time of fierce ideological battles over the war and what it
means to be American, a liberal thinker gives his conservative
parents the gift that keeps on giving: political dialogue.

http://www.wiretapmag.org/story.html?StoryID=15437

øø,€  ¸¸,€  ø¤º°`€  °º¤ø,€  ¸¸,€
ø¤º°`€  °º¤øø***

I LEFT MY BLEEDING HEART IN SAN FRANCISCO

This whole anti-war movement seems more and more like a joke to
anyone who's paying attention, and I wouldn't doubt if it were being
led by pro-war forces.  After all, the easiest way to maintain power
is to create your own enemies. So how can we change foreign policy?
Obviously, not by making conceptual art. If  that's all it takes,
we'd see a lot more congressmen and CEOs doing that.
http://www.wiretapmag.org/story.html?StoryID=15458

øø,€  ¸¸,€  ø¤º°`€  °º¤ø,€  ¸¸,€
ø¤º°`€  °º¤øø***

EYE WASH

The next Eye Wash begins Wednesday, April 2nd, and the lineup is as
follows:

When:		April 2, 2003
9pm to 1am

Where:		Freight @ Chelsea Market
		410 West 16th St (btwn 9th & 10th aves)
Cost:		FREE

Featuring:	Holly/FMT  (www.FORWARDmotiontheater.org)
Feedbuck/Galore  (www.feedbuckgalore.com)
Lu(x)z (www.amoebatechnology.net)

Directions:	subway: A,C,E, or L train to 14th Street and 8th
Avenue
 		bus: M11 or M14 to 15th Street and 9th Avenue

A special thanks to everyone who came out last Wednesday for some
excellent video!  For those who missed out, log on to
http://www.FORWARDmotiontheater.org and check out the quicktime clip
to see last week's event.

Eye Wash is a fun cocktail of mixed visuals featuring guest VJs and
VideoArtists, 3 Wednesday nights in April ( 2nd, 16th, & 30th), at
Freight the new video lounge located in the Chelsea Market.  The
series is a relaxed and social cocktail atmosphere in a
bar/restaurant equipped with plasma screens, CRTs, and video
projectors, and serves as a meeting place for VJs, video artists, and
those interested in watching and discussing the latest in live video
art.

øø,€  ¸¸,€  ø¤º°`€  °º¤ø,€  ¸¸,€
ø¤º°`€  °º¤øø***

AIM TO CREATE 'SENSITIVE' PCS

 Computers that can recognize and understand human emotions could be
about to move a step...
http://www.kurzweilai.net/email/newsRedirect.html?newsID=1785&m=4905

øø,€  ¸¸,€  ø¤º°`€  °º¤ø,€  ¸¸,€
ø¤º°`€  °º¤øø

ARABIC IN, ENGLISH OUT

 A new device being tested at the Office of Naval Research promises
simultaneous machine translation and interpretation, using a blend of
voice recognition, speech synthesis and translation...
http://www.kurzweilai.net/email/newsRedirect.html?newsID=1784&m=4905

øø,€  ¸¸,€  ø¤º°`€  °º¤ø,€  ¸¸,€
ø¤º°`€  °º¤øø

SURVEILLANCE NATION

Webcams, tracking devices, and interlinked databases are leading to
the elimination of unmonitored public space. Are we prepared for the
consequences of the intelligence- gathering network we're
unintentionally...
http://www.kurzweilai.net/email/newsRedirect.html?newsID=1783&m=4905

øø,€  ¸¸,€  ø¤º°`€  °º¤ø,€  ¸¸,€
ø¤º°`€  °º¤øø

ARTWORK - WORLD OF AWE: PORTAL
A net.dance

PORTAL is an interactive net.dance in three parts that follows a
traveler passing from the physical world to a virtual world called
the Sunset/Sunrise. The work touches on the spatial and aesthetic
relationship between virtual and physical spaces, as well as the
relationship between user and digital content. [needs Flash Player 6;
High bandwidth]

WORK >> http://www.turbulence.org/Works/yael
INTERVIEW >> http://www.turbulence.org/interviews/portal.html

øø,€  ¸¸,€  ø¤º°`€  °º¤ø,€  ¸¸,€
ø¤º°`€  °º¤øø**

A QUINE

It's a quine - a self-replicating programme

war.pl

#! /usr/bin/perl
$s='$c = chr(39);$t = q^#! /usr/bin/perl
$s=^.$c.$s.$c.q^;eval $s;^."\n";print $t
###             execute-me            ###
# XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX #
# XX  XX  XX  XXXXX    XXXXX       XXXX #
# XX  XX  XX  XXXX  XX  XXXX  XXXX  XXX #
# XX  XX  XX  XXX  XXXX  XXX  XXXX  XXX #
# XX  XX  XX  XXX  XXXX  XXX  XXXX  XXX #
# XX  XX  XX  XX          XX        XXX #
# XX  XX  XX  XX  XXXXXX  XX  XXXX  XXX #
# XX          XX  XXXXXX  XX  XXXXX  XX #
# XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX #
###             code of war           ###
';eval $s;
# cut out the code above - save it as -
# war.pl and run it.
# The earth is an inch deep in frost.   #
# Hard; breaking ground to bury the dead#
# The north is silent - Shadowed -      #
# waiting.                              #
#                                       #
# The sun eclipsed -                    #
# by eagle wings and lion heart.        #
# No one can plow or sow, type or code. #
# Spring buds and blossoms retard.      #
#                                       #
# The sands of arabia grown.            #
# The reign of cruelty is begun.        #
# Disguised in charity & pity & peace.  #
# Pity excusing poverty.                #
# Charity excusing wealth.              #
#                                       #
# Peace an armistice of fear            #
# Reproducing the code for war.         #
#                                       #
# w.blake                               #

#! /usr/bin/perl
$s='$c = chr(39);$t = q^#! /usr/bin/perl
$s=^.$c.$s.$c.q^;eval $s;^."\n";print $t
####             execute-me          ####
#                                       #
#  +--^----------,-----,----,------^-,  #
#   | |||||||||   `----:    |        O  #
#   `+---------------------^---------|  #
#     `\_,---------,-----,-----------~  #
#       / XXXXXX / |    /               #
#      / XXXXXX /  `\  /                #
#     / XXXXXX /`-----~                 #
#    / XXXXXX /                         #
#   / XXXXXX /                          #
#  (________(                           #
#   `------~                            #
###                                  ####
';eval $s;
# cut out the code above - save it as -
# war.pl and run it.

øø,€  ¸¸,€  ø¤º°`€  °º¤ø,€  ¸¸,€
ø¤º°`€  °º¤øø**

SUMMIT ON INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND THE KNOWLEDGE ECONOMY

WORLD  INTELLECTUAL  PROPERTY  ORGANIZATION
GENEVA

 Beijing, April 24 to 26, 2003

 prepared by the Co-Chairs

 DRAFT DECLARATION (Prepared by the Co-Chairs)

1. We, the Heads of State and Government, assembled in Beijing,
China, for the first Summit organized by the World Intellectual
Property Organization (WIPO) and hosted by the Government of the
Peoples Republic of China:

2. Reiterating that the economic, social and cultural development of
all nations is a major challenge for the international community;

3. Recognizing that creativity and cultural diversity, including
multilingualism, are essential to human progress and technological
advancement and that intellectual property is an important factor in
fostering creativity and invention;

4. Recalling that the United Nations (UN) Millennium Declaration was
adopted in 2000 at the UN Millennium Summit with the aim, inter alia,
of creating an environment which is conducive to development;

5. Convinced that intellectual property should be a tool for
achieving economic, social and cultural development, the promotion
and dissemination of science and technology, the stimulation of
economic growth and the closing of the knowledge gap, and not an end
in itself;

6. Conscious of the fact that information and communication
technologies, as well as science and technology, are evolving
rapidly, presenting the prospect of the knowledge economy and an
information society, but that the benefits of this progress
are not yet available to all;

7. Noting the entry into force of the WIPO Internet Treaties that are
aimed at resolving some of the intellectual property issues resulting
from the rapid evolution of information and communication
technologies;

8. Noting the importance of transparency in the legislative,
administrative and judicial process on intellectual property matters
and encouraging the widest possible participation of all stakeholders
in discussions on public policy goals and the formulation of a policy
relating to intellectual property based on those discussions;

9. Desiring to enable innovators, researchers and entrepreneurs,
particularly small and medium-sized enterprises, and academic
institutions, to use the intellectual property system for the benefit
of society;

10.Conscious that there are both costs and benefits attached to the
protection of intellectual property rights;

11.Recognizing the efforts made in combating counterfeiting and
piracy, which are serious issues, and noting the importance of
adequate and effective legal measures and remedies to protect
intellectual property rights;

12.Mindful of all the treaties administered by WIPO as well as the on-
going discussions on issues relating to intellectual property regimes;

13.Noting the importance of on-going discussions in WIPO and in other
fora on subjects such as the information society, the environment,
social development and public health, and their relationship to
intellectual property and the knowledge economy;

14.Recalling the Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual
Property Rights (TRIPS Agreement) and the Doha Declaration on the
TRIPS Agreement and Public Health;

15.Mindful of the purposes and principles of the United Nations
system aimed at ensuring the social, economic and cultural
development of all nations and, in this connection, appreciating the
role of WIPO as the specialized agency of the United Nations with
specific expertise, and leadership mandate in the field of
intellectual property, appreciating the significant achievements WIPO
has made in the field of intellectual property, and welcoming the
efforts of WIPO to bring the intellectual property system closer to
the general public;

16.Celebrating today World Intellectual Property Day which
commemorates the entry into force of the Convention Establishing WIPO
in 1970;

Hereby resolve as follows:

17.We undertake, and also urge all relevant stakeholders, to
cooperate in promoting the use of intellectual property for
development, prosperity and cultural diversity, as well as for
maximizing the benefits of human ingenuity and inventiveness for the
good of humankind as a whole;

18.We further undertake to encourage measures that would facilitate
the transfer of technology, the promotion of investment and capacity
building;

19.We are determined to encourage creative and innovative activity so
as to further develop the knowledge economy for the benefit of all
peoples;

20.We affirm the need for all countries to implement their
intellectual property systems in accordance with their international
rights, obligations, and flexibilities, including those relating to
their levels of development and public policy goals;

21.We emphasize the need for a balance between the interests of the
holder of intellectual property rights and those of the public at
large, consistent with intellectual property laws
and international agreements, and also emphasize the need to curb
unfair competition and anti-competitive practices;

22.We are determined to continue combating counterfeiting and piracy
in accordance with existing multilateral obligations and our
respective national laws and regulations that implement those
obligations;

23.We condemn biopiracy and the misappropriation of traditional
knowledge.  We are committed to combating them and finding
appropriate and effective solutions for the protection of genetic
resources, traditional knowledge and folklore;

24.We support WIPO in promoting international cooperation among
governments and all relevant stakeholders and in making intellectual
property more accessible and affordable;

25.We underscore the importance of maintaining a dialogue at all
useful levels for further addressing issues related to intellectual
property, and undertake to make efforts to enhance public awareness
and education on intellectual property;

26.We encourage efforts to enhance technical and financial
cooperation in favor of developing countries, least-developed
countries and countries in transition to a market economy for
supporting them to build their capacity and develop appropriate
infrastructure, including human resources, to effectively reap the
benefits of the intellectual property system; and

27.We invite all people in all countries from every sector of society
to join us in developing a shared vision of the important role of
intellectual property in the knowledge economy and to use it as a
powerful tool for economic, social and cultural development.

øø,€  ¸¸,€  ø¤º°`€  °º¤ø,€  ¸¸,€
ø¤º°`€  °º¤øø**

NEW TIMES, NEW APPROACHES: FUNDING THE ARTS IN TODAY'S ECONOMY

Tuesday,  March 31, 2003
6-8 PM
CUNY Graduate Center

We invite you to join the Arts & Business Council for the first forum
of 2003, produced in collaboration with the Center for Arts & Culture
of Washington, D.C. In the Fall of 2002, the Center began
disseminating the research findings of the Irvine Foundation's
project on the "New Economy." Questions examined in these studies
included: What are the relationships between for-profit and not-for-
profit ventures in the arts? How will they fare as philanthropy
changes in the "new economy?" Could socially responsible investors,
venture philanthropists/capitalists be encouraged to invest in the
arts?
http://www.artsandbusiness.org/programs/memberforumsupcoming.html

øø,€  ¸¸,€  ø¤º°`€  °º¤ø,€  ¸¸,€
ø¤º°`€  °º¤øø

METAPHOR AND WAR, AGAIN

Metaphors can kill.

One of the most central metaphors in our foreign policy is that A
Nation Is A Person. It is used hundreds of times a day, every time
the nation of Iraq is conceptualized in terms of a single person,
Saddam Hussein. The war, we are told, is not being waged against the
Iraqi people, but only against this one person. Ordinary American
citizens are using this metaphor when they say things like, "Saddam
is a tyrant. He must be stopped." What the metaphor hides, of course,
is that the 3000 bombs to be dropped in the first two days will not
be dropped on that one person. They will kill many thousands of the
people hidden by the metaphor, people that according to the metaphor
we are not going to war against.

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=15414

øø,€  ¸¸,€  ø¤º°`€  °º¤ø,€  ¸¸,€
ø¤º°`€  °º¤øø

BAILA TANGO'S 4TH ANNUAL TANGO TRIP TO ISTANBUL

with Metin Yazir also Vanessa Gauch and Jak Karako

August 1-10
Ten days full of tango, milongas, workshops and the enchanting city
of Istanbul.

The hotel we'll be staying this year is especially noteworthy: Pera
Palas is a world renowned hotel which hosted many famous artists,
leaders including Ataturk, Jacqueline Kennedy, Agatha Cristie. It is
completely renovated and it is known as the most elegant, authentic
hotel in the country.

$1,200 * Reserve your spot before May 1st and get $100 off.

Reservation and Details: www.BailaTango.com/tour/

Please feel free to contact me if you have any special requests
* shorter/longer stays
* travel arrangements
* group discounts for groups of six or more

1 (212) 314 5640 or or tour at BailaTango.com
Jak

øø,€  ¸¸,€  ø¤º°`€  °º¤ø,€  ¸¸,€
ø¤º°`€  °º¤øø*

TODAY, I WEEP FOR MY COUNTRY...

By Sen. Robert Byrd
March 20, 2003

>From the Senate floor Wednesday, Sen. Byrd (D-WVa.) asks, "Why can
this President not seem to see that America's true power lies not in
its will to intimidate, but in its ability to inspire?"

I believe in this beautiful country. I have studied its roots and
gloried in the wisdom of its magnificent Constitution. I have
marveled at the wisdom of its founders and framers. Generation after
generation of Americans has understood the lofty ideals that underlie
our great Republic. I have been inspired by the story of their
sacrifice and their strength.

But, today I weep for my country. I have watched the events of recent
months with a heavy, heavy heart. No more is the image of America
that of the strong yet benevolent peacekeeper. The image of America
has changed. Around the globe, our friends mistrust us, our word is
disputed, our intentions are questioned.

Instead of reasoning with those with whom we disagree, we demand
obedience or threaten recrimination. Instead of isolating Saddam
Hussein, we seem to have isolated ourselves. We proclaim a new
doctrine of pre-emption  which is understood by few and feared by
many. We say
that the United States has the right to turn its firepower on any
corner of the globe which might be
suspect in the war on terrorism. We assert that right without the
sanction of any international body. As a result, the world has become
a much more dangerous place.

We flaunt our superpower status with arrogance. We treat UN Security
Council members like ingrates who offend our princely dignity by
lifting their heads from the carpet. Valuable alliances are split.

After war has ended, the United States will have to rebuild much more
than the country of Iraq. We will have to rebuild America's image
around the globe.

The case this Administration tries to make to justify its fixation
with war is tainted by charges of falsified documents and
circumstantial evidence. We cannot convince the world of the
necessity of this war for one simple reason. This is a war of choice.

There is no credible information to connect Saddam Hussein to 9/11.
The twin towers fell because a world-wide terrorist group, Al Qaeda,
with cells in over 60 nations, struck at our wealth and our influence
by turning our own planes into missiles, one of which would likely
have slammed into the dome of this beautiful Capitol except for the
brave sacrifice of the passengers on board.

The brutality seen on September 11th and in other terrorist attacks
we have witnessed around the globe are the violent and desperate
efforts by extremists to stop the daily encroachment of western
values upon their cultures. That is what we fight. It is a force not
confined to borders. It is a shadowy entity with many faces, many
names, and many addresses.

But this Administration has directed all of the anger, fear, and
grief that emerged from the ashes of the twin towers and the twisted
metal of the Pentagon towards a tangible villain, one we can see and
hate and attack. And villain he is. But, he is the wrong villain. And
this is the wrong war. If we attack Saddam Hussein, we will probably
drive him from power. But, the zeal of our friends to assist our
global war on terrorism may have already taken flight.

The general unease surrounding this war is not just due to "orange
alert." There is a pervasive sense of rush and risk and too many
questions unanswered. How long will we be in Iraq? What will be the
cost? What is the ultimate mission? How great is the danger at home?

A pall has fallen over the Senate Chamber. We avoid our solemn duty
to debate the one topic on the minds of all Americans, even while
scores of thousands of our sons and daughters faithfully do their
duty in Iraq.

What is happening to this country? When did we become a nation that
ignores and berates our friends? When did we decide to risk
undermining international order by adopting a radical and doctrinaire
approach to using our awesome military might? How can we abandon
diplomatic efforts when the turmoil in the world cries out for
diplomacy?

Why can this President not seem to see that America's true power lies
not in its will to intimidate, but in its ability to inspire?

War appears inevitable. But, I continue to hope that the cloud will
lift. Perhaps Saddam will yet turn tail and run. Perhaps reason will
somehow still prevail. Along with millions of Americans I will pray
for the safety of our troops, for the innocent civilians in Iraq, and
for the security of our homeland. May God continue to bless the
United States of America in the troubled days ahead, and may we
somehow recapture the vision that for the present eludes us.

øø,€  ¸¸,€  ø¤º°`€  °º¤ø,€  ¸¸,€
ø¤º°`€  °º¤øø

SMART DUST

"Smart dust" devices – tiny wireless microelectromechanical
sensors
(MEMS) that can detect everything from light to vibrations -- would
gather data, run computations and communicate the information using
two-way band radio between motes at distances
approaching 1,000 feet. Potential commercial...
http://www.kurzweilai.net/email/newsRedirect.html?newsID=1791&m=4905

øø,€  ¸¸,€  ø¤º°`€  °º¤ø,€  ¸¸,€
ø¤º°`€  °º¤øø

 DNA LEADERS CALL RELIGION TO ACCOUNT

Francis Crick and James Watson, the scientists who launched a
revolution with the discovery of the structure of DNA in Cambridge 50
years ago, have used the anniversary to mount an attack on religion.
Crick says his distaste for religion was one of his prime motives in
the work that led to the...
http://www.kurzweilai.net/email/newsRedirect.html?newsID=1790&m=4905

***************

POEMS WRITTEN ONE EVENING IN STARBUCKS