[CupcakeKleidoscope] Nomad Update

cupcakekaleidoscope <chris@electrichands.com> chris at electrichands.com
Mon Mar 3 19:40:55 CET 2003

We have made it to Salt Lake City, visually stunning in the morning,
with snow and fog clouded peaks, surrounded by lakes and small
towns.  We appreciate the sponsorships of the few who have
contributed to get us this far. Especially Isaac, a friend and
collector, and Rich & Debbie, who have a wonderful online shopping
site called UltimateArtisans.com (selling beautiful artifacts from
Italy).
You might be wondering why we embarked upon a journey with limited
resources and I guess I am feeling obligated to explain our motives.
When Donna and I, and the other Corporate Performance Artists
(www.corporatepa.com) decided to accept the full time life as
artusts, we made our decision with a conscious awareness that with
such life comes a great deal of responsibility. While many who call
themselves artists would argue, we feel that artists are on the front
lines for pioneering and growing quality communities.  Everyone knows
of the effect artists moving into under-developed neighborhoods has
upon the area.
Encouraging the arts has had a stunning economic effect in a wide
range of places. North Adams, Mass., once a crumbling industrial
town, risked letting the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art
move into an abandoned factory and has seen itself transformed by a
new tourist industry. Karlsruhe, Germany, has done even better,
founding an electronic art-media center in 1997 that has sent the
economy soaring with high-paying high-technology jobs.

Now, in the past, an artists responsibility in regard to developing
communitities have been more passive than active.  However, we feel
that given the state of the world, a passive stance is not an option.

So the question we asked ourselves, what are our communities?  We
have The Bronx where we live and work. We have the online community
of Cupcake Kaleidoscope.  And in a larger sense, we have the world in
which we live.

So there follows the question, how to best serve our communities.  In
The Bronx, we feel creating world class art and exciting people into
building world-class art and technology centers can have a tremendous
economic impact.  For Cupcake, we need to keep creating new stories,
pictures, and nomadic experience documentation.  The fuel for
Cupcakes growth is content, and it needs to be vital and relavant.

How do we best serve the world? By creating work that addresses the
world situation and presenting that to as large of world audience as
possible, thus stimulating valuable conversation, discussion, and
cross-cultural information exchange.  The Cult of the Corporate
Performance Artist series of work is directly confronting the issues
of religion, war, terror, isolation, belief, and globalism.

By accepting the mission of creating a performance addressing the
Spiritual in Art, and first performing in in The Bronx, and then
taking to another country (Canada), we are attempting to meet our
responsibilities to our communities.  That we did so without adequate
resources to cover all emergencies, represents our faith that the
communities of which we are members will recognize the value of what
we are doing and will rise to support us.

So, we again apply to you for sponsorship. To help us get back home.
We need only 11 more tanks of gas.  About $800 dollars.  Please go to
http://www.corporatepa.com/adsponsor and select a sponsorship level
or just pick an amount to sponsor.    Every sponsorship level will
get you invited to a special party upon our return. A sponsorship of
$100 or more will get you a book of poetry by Rafael, a hand-drawn
postcard by joseph & donna, and a beautiful photograph signed and
matted from our trip.  For someone willing to go $250 or more, there
are some special wood-covered and hand-painted books (limited edition
of 11) that are part of the Cult of the Corporate Performance Artists
series that you will recieve.

We appreciate every person supporting our efforts to build a better
community.