No subject

claudia westermann media at ezaic.de
Tue Mar 18 10:02:45 CET 2003

http://www.cadrage.net/films/bigshave/bigshave.html

http://www.wam.umd.edu/~molouns/amst450/italy/scorsese.html

Can "The Big Shave" be seen as an anti-Vietnam film, as Scorsese suggests?

The film starts out simple enough - doing a routine thing - shaving.
The man does it every day (presumably) and is just going about his
normal activities. So, too, was the United States (or so they
thought) going about routine actions. Through the 1940's - 1960's
(and all the way through Reagan at least, if not more) America has
believed they had the right to install the governments they wanted
when they could. The US also, in a way, believes it has the duty (the
right) to "protect" other countries/governments.

However, things go terribly wrong. The man begins to bleed profusely.
America, after 1968 or so, really began to lose the war. Casualties
were at an all-time high while morale (on the front and at home) was
at an all-time low. Things weren't working.

The man continues to shave, feeling that if he just perseveres, it
will all work out. Instead of stopping the war, the US sends more
boys to give their lives for a lost cause. It just won't work.

As I was watching "The Big Shave", I (and probably many of my
classmates) asked "Why doesn't he stop and fix himself?" Scorsese was
asking with this film "Why doesn't the US stop and fix itself?" The
US got consumed by something and didn't do the logical thing when it
had the chance. And what it was left with was a mess.