My Wyoming Valley

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Sun Jun 29 02:30:09 CEST 2003

coalfields are
soaked in
blood making
making us
us strong.
strong.

"The Breaker images

"Breaker boys had a median lifespan of 18.
"Today we visited a breaker.
"It was the Blue Coal breaker in Ashley.
"I remember the cars of blue coal when I was a child.
"The coal was dyed.
"The breaker was in ruins and we went in.
"Huge slabs of metal and concrete everywhere.
"The outside structure stood as usual.
"The windows were broken and it was dark inside.
"The breaker boys would fall asleep and get caught in the conveyers.
"I took photographs of the conveyers.
"They were battered and ripped apart.
"Those who lived often lost arms and legs.
"The life was brutal even after unionization.
"I took photographs of the Knox Coal Mine disaster as well.
"This spelled the end of anthracite mining in the northern field.
"The four Pennsylvania fields hold 75% of the world's anthracite.
"Twelve miners perished as the Susquehanna rushed into the breach.
"All the adjacent mines flooded.
"The breaker is perhaps fifteen or twenty stories high.
"The workday was at least twelve hours.
"Coal dust was everywhere in the unheated uncooled space.
"The noise was deafening and no one could talk.
"The rollers for the belts are still present but the belts are gone.
"The covered loading docks are still there.
"You can see where the coal might have been dyed.
"A few miles away we passed the site of the Avondale Mine disaster.
"One hundred and ten miners died in that.
"In 1902 a major coal strike was battered by Pinkerton.
"Teddy Roosevelt intervened but a number of lives were lost.
"Lives were lost everywhere in disaster after disasters.
"The coalfields are soaked in blood making us strong.

___