Cinenova Situation

Marina Vishmidt marina at vishmidt.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Jun 16 14:50:38 CEST 2003

STAYING ALIVE

Cinenova is a resource based in London that distributes videotapes and
film prints, made by women. In addition Cinenova has an extensive
collection of articles and publicity material that relates to the work
distributed. Cinenova serves women artists and directors, in the
distribution, promotion and dissemination of their film and video work,
acting as an agent between artists, researchers, curators, educators,
and audience.

Founded in 1991, from the merger between Circles and Cinema of women
and since the inception of the feminist media arts movement in the UK
and it's redefinition of social, cultural, political, psychological and
economic concerns. The early work of establishing these organisations
is a testament to the critical practices that although marginalised
then, have become pivotal in a discussion of the wider distribution of
the means of engagement with art, cultural diversity and social
inclusion today. It is crucial that we acknowledge this work, and
prevent its dispersal.

Cinenova is a source of very specific knowledge and is a network and
cultural community that not only engages directly with women's film and
video work, but with how to make this knowledge more widely available.
The ways in which Cinenova operates, as well as the information it
disseminates are vital to a wider understanding of work made by Women.
This understanding is of inestimable, critical importance, as urgent
now as it was twenty years ago with the founding of Circles and Cinema
of Women.

Two years ago, all funding stopped for Cinenova and at the moment
activities continue to be based at 113 Roman Road in London and
distribution is handled by Emma Hedditch. The British Film Institute
who had been handling the storage and dispatch of all Cinenova film
prints, are no longer able to do this and are in the process of
returning the material to Cinenova. Re-housing the prints is
logistically difficult given that Cinenova are currently operating from
a small office space. Coupled with the pre-existing withdrawal of
public funds the situation is at a critical point. We want to continue
and genuinely believe that it is culturally, politically and socially
important that we do so, but faced with these practical and financial
constraints, it is becoming increasingly difficult, to fulfill this
desire.

We would like to hear from you. Please write to info at cinenova.org.uk or
Cinenova, 113 Roman road, E2 OQN or attend one of our meetings

24th of June, at the Ritzy Cinema Cafe Brixton, at 7.30pm for one hour
followed by a more social discussion. Please note this will be a woman
only.

25th of June at Lux, 18 Shacklewell lane, Dalston, 7.00pm until 8.30pm.

Please email the address above, or write if you can attend, with
further questions and suggestions.

Please consider the following questions for discussion at the meeting,
and in all correspondence.

At this point in time when the very material (film prints) are being
moved, and possible worker space and
facilities for work to operate Cinenova, are being sought, what could
you do to support Cinenova?

What could be done with the organisation, with fewer resources, but
greater support and communication?

Can or should Cinenova continue to operate with the very little money
it has and what will happen to this work if Cinenova closes?

In relocating or storing material, how can Cinenova re-address its
activities and make new plans with active support?

What of the existing institutions and individual researchers,
academics, artists and curators that have expressed interest in
Cinenova and benefit from Cinenova's services now and in the past? How
can we mobilise this support and increase our visibility?