More on Roma

Ivo Skoric vze3c9dm at verizon.net
Tue Jun 10 20:55:52 CEST 2003

Violence against Kosovo Roma in Macedonia was precipitated by
UNHCR's poor judgement, says this comment:

I would like to add some more information to the situation of
Kosovo Roma, Ashkalia and Egyptian refugees in Macedonia.
During 1999/2000 I was managing the Roma Community Center,
which was around 500 meters from the Collective Center mentioned
in the text. In fact, I know that collective since UNHCR has started
building it, and later, many of the refugees for the center used our
services. Although it was clear that Kosovo Roma cannot go back
to their homes, UNHCR cut their budget per capita and for the
building of the collective center and had no plans for a long- term
solution. "Advises" of the UNHCR "to seek alternate
accommodation" with a very limited help or no help from UNHCR is
a bad idea. As it was a bad idea (also from UNHCR) for
repatriation. Just for short info, some Roma people tried to do so
and were killed in Kosovo. To be clear, Macedonia economically is
sinking and has no capacity (money) to accommodate nor to build
shelters in a long run (not even in a short run) without an
international help. The (small) budget of the Ministry for Social
Affairs was already empty with accommodating the Kosovo
Albanian refugees. This Ministry and UNHCR were sort of partners
in running the collective center, but we know who was the real
boss! Macedonia has a high rate of unemployment, officially at that
time 33%, but I would say at least 45%. And guess what! The first
resistance toward Roma people from Kosovo came from Roma
people from Macedonia! The were cases, as far as I know, of
organized resistance. Why? Local Roma were afraid they will get
nothing, knowing that mighty international "helpers" will do half of a
poor job (see the case of Roma come back from Westphalia further
in the text) and the "self-conf As a result, the Collective Center was
poorly done since the very beginning (no rain drains, only a small
room per family, bad sanitation - toilets and bathrooms like very
small cabins made of metal with very limited supply of hot water),
which was pointed out to UNHCR, at least by the local and
international non profits I know about. No wonder why there was
increase of infectious diseases. UNHCR, not the Macedonian
government forbid the entrance of international and local NGO's to
enter the center and offer services. Indeed, there were some intl
NGO's who were not clear with their agenda, but there were
completely competent NGO's which could provide qualitative
services. International NGO's, which provided psycho-social
services, submitted a letter to the head of UNHCR, but he did not
respond at all. The only organizations allowed inside were
International Medical Corps and Macedonian Red Cross, which
services were not enough or some were lacking. Later on, UNHCR
loosened a bit, with the effort made from the intl and local NGO's,
and the refugees started using the services of the Community
Center, so they can work on their traumas and build up vocational
skills. As a matter of fact, we (the Community Center) had a good
cooperation with the people appointed from the Macedonian Red
Cross and Ministry of Social Affairs. Ms. Petrova mentions Article
12(2) of the International Convention on Civil and political Rights. I
am wondering, then, why Northern Raina Westphalia, just to get rid
of Roma people seeking for asylum there, build badly done small
houses in Skopje, the capital of Macedonia ("forgetting" to build a
sewing system!), and sent all Roma back. Please, visit Shuto
Orizari Municipality, specially Vietnamska Street, and you will see
them. This text is NOT ment to protect the Macedonian authorities.
Many things have to be changed. There are still prejudices against
Roma people in Macedonia. I wanted to point out at some
important obligations of the international factors that are quickly
mentioned without any elaboration or not mentioned at all. Erik
Tanchorov, 1999 assistant manager of the Community Center
ROSH 2000 manager of the Community Center ROSH 22
Vietnamska Street, Shuto Orizari Municipality, Skopje, Macedonia