Weapons of political destruction found half-buried in Washington

furtherfield info at furtherfield.org
Sun Jun 8 18:32:44 CEST 2003

Weapons of political destruction found half-buried in Washington

Let's try to understand the nature of how political scandals develop in
Washington and how the elite media cover political news. You need, as a
start, an aggrieved community inside the Beltway - and finally we have one,
or two, or three. The intelligence "community," pushed and shoved by the
neocons and radical nationalists in the Pentagon and the White House,
sidelined, forced to support positions with which they felt uncomfortable,
pressured to come up with information supporting the administration's secret
decision to invade Iraq, undoubtedly filled with personal (and political)
pique, roused by a sense of injury, are now carrying their grievances to the
press. I almost feel sorry for well-connected journalists. We're not talking
leaks any more; we're talking torrents, we're talking cascades of unnamed,
angry sources.

Take a look at the latest piece by dissident conservative Toronto Sun
columnist Eric Margolis (below) on the growing weapons of mass destruction
scandal, where the key line is: "This column has been contacted by a number
of retired intelligence officers, both individuals and groups, backing up
assertions made here two weeks ago that a cabal of neo-conservatives in
President George Bush's administration distorted or faked information that
formed the basis of claims that Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction
(WMD) that imminently threatened the U.S. and all mankind." ("Retired"
figures in such situations invariably represent active ones.)

http://www.nationinstitute.org/tomdispatch/