Julu on Colonialism

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Sat Jul 26 00:46:44 CEST 2003

Julu on Colonialism

"Pledge marches me on your boat"? To the moment of the pledge of truth,
but the march carries nothing, back and forth - the image pretends towards
the static, the immanent, with its reliance on the fixture of pixels. But
such fixtures are configurations in the first place - we are at double and
tertiary levels of coding, and this coding is all the way down of course.
Nonetheless, there is a structure of belief here, all tangled with soft-
ware and protocols, and therefore with contractuality and post-late-cap-
italism, remember that? :"Your palm is blasphemy unto the Lord."? The palm
is the image of the world; it is the Lord's blasphemy, cutting corners,
making shortcuts, bypassing the Absolute - here is what you have, here is
what might be the case - and you can do something about it. "Your boat
shall convert in truth and not in false demand"? Hardly the case; in fact,
the wavering is the result of the wave - diffraction and refraction at
work portending an image, now digital, now part of the "Archive series"
which is once again taken for truth. No elements need apply - they are are
present, accounted for, at least at the beginning. To begin the unbegin-
ning, to begin the unaccountable - that is the history of our lives,
against which archiving is both weak and unacceptable. :"The Transform and
Freedom of the Natives"? It seems just the opposite - archiving the
impossible, down to the level of the pixel. Even in Run-time, this goes
nowhere at all. The images are enormous, down to the level of diffraction
lines, surely digital artifacts in the first place. From all reports,
they're less in jpeg than tiff, which shows that some sort of processing
is advantageous. Of course every image is a process, and the digital ones
continue to be so - not to mention decay, lost pixels beneath the rain of
constant radiation. ::

"How would you define your palm"? - not by defining I would say, not by
palm-up or palm-down. The definition in the first place is a type of
archiving, a placement, both radical and Cartesian in essence, if not in
gridwork.

Does "The Transform and Freedom of the Natives"? It seems just the oppos-
ite - archiving the impossible, down to the level of the pixel.  Even in
Run-time, this goes nowhere at all. The images are enormous, down to the
level of diffraction lines, surely digital artifacts in the first place.
>From all reports, they're less in jpeg than tiff, which shows that some
sort of processing is advantageous. Of course every image is a process,
and the digital ones continue to be so - not to mention decay, lost pixels
beneath the rain of constant radiation.  replace your "Pledge marches me
on your boat"? To the moment of the pledge of truth, but the march carries
nothing, back and forth - the image pretends towards the static, the
immanent, with its reliance on the fixture of pixels. But such fixtures
are configurations in the first place - we are at double and tertiary
levels of coding, and this coding is all the way down of course. Nonethe-
less, there is a structure of belief here, all tangled with software and
protocols, and therefore with contractuality and post-late-capitalism,
remember that? ?

___