[Autonogram] new books + old wheels = autonomedia

anna balint epistolaris at freemail.hu
Fri Jul 4 07:56:18 CEST 2003

From: Ben at Autonomedia <ben at autonomedia.org>

  Dear Autonomedia mailing list --
  Yes, it's been a long time since I've sent out an Autonogram email
  newsletter, but it's not because I don't love you. On the contrary,
  everything I do is for you, though I haven't told you about it in a while,
  for which I apologize. But there is news, there are new books, and in
  general there's plenty to say on the Autonomedia front.

  * * * * *
  First: Do you know about the Autonomadic Bookmobile? This is the ambitious
  and awesome project curated, directed, and navigated by our colleagues
  shared with the Bindlestiff Family Circus, Drs. Henceforth Flummox and Okra
  P. Dingle. The doctors have been going out on the road for the last few
  summers with a truckful of small-press books and zines, on a circuit-
  preaching mission to promote and distribute the free radicals that are
  increasingly hard to find in our consolidated-media world. The Bookmobile is
  equipped with a full load of books from Autonomedia, AK Press, Black and
  Red, Charles H. Kerr, New Mouth from the Dirty South, and plenty more, as
  well as a careful selection of zines from around the country. And because
  it's a self-contained operation (putting the "auto" in autonomous, if you
  will), the directors can pretty much open it up anywhere they see fit, from
  abandoned K-mart parking lots to hipster runways to Sherwood Andersonian
  small-town squares, spreading their good news into as many contexts as
  possible. It's a marvelous endeavor, but they're in need of some help, so
  check their schedule, go get some books when they're nearby, and consider
  making a donation to their operation -- I'm pasting their recent fundraising
  letter, and will also point you to the donation box on their schedule
  page(http://www.autonomedia.org/bookmobile/bookmobiletour2002.html).

  *

  Dear friends,
  Remember that circus truck full of small and radical press books and zines?
  That sideshow you tossed a tomato at? Well, it's coming round again. We're
  currently booking our 2003 summer/fall tour, but to really get it on the
  road we need to ask for your help.
  Here is our hope: that there are 100 people out there who are able to give
  $10 to allow the Autonomadic Bookmobile and Medicine Show to travel this
  year.
  Of course, we would be endlessly grateful if you could donate more
  (remember, it's tax-deductible!) But we know that most people are in
  difficult positions right now, so we're only asking for $10. We will receive
  every bit of help with love and gratitude and a receipt for tax purposes.
  Please note: the Bookmobile remains fully a part of Autonomedia, a 501(c)3
  nonprofit in New York. But Bookmobile "headquarters" have moved to New
  Orleans. So...
  Please send checks *made out to Autonomedia*, money orders, or well-
  concealed cash to:
  The Autonomadic Bookmobile
  PO Box 71831
  New Orleans, LA 70172
  This project does not receive any corporate or government funding. Please
  help us bring independent books and circus sideshow to your town in 2003!

  Yours in gratitude,
  Dr. Henceforth Flummox
  Okra P. Dingle

  *

  read more about the bookmobile at http://www.autonomedia.org/bookmobile/
  index.html

  * * * * *

  On to the book front: Two new books are about to pop, another finally
  emerged a couple months ago, and reprints galore are nigh upon us!

  *
  "Revolutionary Writing" is an anthology of essays related to the autonomous
  marxist tradition, of which Antonio Negri is the best-known thinker. Indeed,
  Negri contributed three pieces to this collection, which also includes work
  from such notables as Harry Cleaver, Mariarosa Dalla Costa, George
  Caffentzis, John Holloway, and Werner Bonefeld (who also edited the book).
  For more on this book, including a sample chapter and table of contents, go
  tohttp://www.autonomedia.org/revolutionarywriting

  *
  "Domain Errors" is the latest project by the subRosa collective, an
  international group of feminist writers, artists, theorists and activists
  engaged in formulating a contestational politics for tactical cyberfeminism.
  In 26 pieces, the book explores the matrices connecting gender, technology,
  reproduction, and representation; excerpts and a table of contents will
  shortly be up athttp://www.autonomedia.org/domainerrors

  *
  "Behind the Blip" by Matthew Fuller is the first book of criticism on the
  culture of software, sort of a critical theory of the realities shaped by
  the software tools we use every day. Matthew Fuller is a regular contributor
  to the Nettime email list on art, tech, and politics, and a familiar name on
  the British media theory scene. http://www.autonomedia.org/behindtheblip

  Both "Domain Errors" and "Behind the Blip" are expected to arrive in our
  warehouse in the week of July 7; I'll send out another note upon their
  arrival.

  *
  Reprints: "Gone to Croatan: Origins of North American Dropout Culture" is
  finally back in print and can be seen athttp://www.autonomedia.org/
  gonetocroatan; "Scandal: Essays in Islamic Heresy" and "Pirate Utopias",
  both by Peter Lamborn Wilson, are at the printers now, due back in late July
  (and Pirate Utopias has new material written for this edition); and "TAZ:
  The Temporary Autonomous Zone, Ontological Anarchy, Poetic Terrorism" is
  also at the printer, with an updated edition due back in late July. Release
  notices to follow!

  * * * * *
  One final thing to look forward to is our brand new online bookstore. Some
  of you have made suggestions on how to improve the ease of use and general
  functionality of our bookstore; thanks to the smarties at Openflows.org,
  we're closing in on a full revision of the store. Or to put it another way,
  enjoy the clunky online-retailing apparatus we've got in place now while it
  lasts, because soon it'll be gone forever!

  Questions, broken-promise notices, name removals and bribery attempts can be
  made with me, ben at autonomedia.org, from whom you'll hear more soon!

  bests,
  Ben / Autonomedia
  http://www.autonomedia.org