The US has gone mad

Andrej Tisma aart at eunet.yu
Thu Jan 16 01:34:05 CET 2003

Quoting from the DKS list quoting from The Guardian, Jan. 6:

If a patient came into my office warning of an imminent attack on the US
with weapons of mass destruction without there being any evidence
whatsoever that this would occur, and saying that we had to strike first
and "take out" all those who were a threat to us as a first step towards
world domination, I would diagnose him as suffering from paranoid and
grandiose delusions and perhaps as psychotic. And, fearing that he
constituted a potential danger to himself or others, I would commit him
to a psychiatric hospital for a period of evaluation and treatment. I
suspect that some of my colleagues with licences to practise psychiatry
in Washington DC are struggling with the decision to exercise their
clinical, ethical, and legal responsibilities to protect the public now
that the US Congress has failed to do so.

Dr. Eric Chivian Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry Harvard
Medical School