RHIZOME_RAW: RE: <nettime> Re: One Day Left

miguel leal ml at virose.pt
Wed Jan 15 18:46:50 CET 2003

>i would be happy to pay for rhizome membership, provided :
>
>1. those whose works are included in the artbase are paid a
>commission.2. those whose works, writings, and commentaries are included
>in the weekly digest are paid for their inclusion.3. those whose works,
>writings, or projects appear on the rhizome website are compensated as
>well.

I Would say that Meta questions are merely rethorical and not to be
taken as they are. At least that was my point on my last post to the
list. The problem is that we are used to "use" rhizome and other
community based services for free, and right now we are facing
something that I could already guess since 2001 or so: Rhizome was
getting to dependent from external founding and any cut could put it
on risk. Probably I'm going to pay fot it (with or without e-mail
address or t-shirt...) only to see how the community evolves on this
new basis. But we can also question the Rhizome project itself,
specially on the relation between it's size (and correlated founding)
and its significance for the community that was used to "use" it.
Bigger is not necessarily better. But we will see the results on
medium term basis. And how it affects other web-based communities.

>I doubt they are going to be making a profit off your measly $5
>contribution, but if you feel that strongly about it I have nothing
>against rhizome taking your work out of the art base, removing you from
>their list, and never mentioning your work ever again on the site.

And that's the kind of unnecessary debate... and one of the reasons
that make me afraid of the use it/pay it solution.

ml

http://www.virose.pt
http://arch.virose.pt