Budapest sends greetings to NY ? fw: Peace demo banned in Hungary

claudia westermann media at ezaic.de
Sat Feb 8 11:32:21 CET 2003

http://www.15februar.de/pe_budapest1.html

DECLARATION

The “Civilians for Peace" Movement is shocked at learning that the
action against the Budapest Police Headquarters' ban of its
demonstration planned for 15th February 2003 was dismissed by the
Budapest Court. We consider  this court  decision as well as the one
of the Budapest Police Headqurters as politically motivated and as a
brutal violation of the right for holding public meetings.

We find it especially deleterious and protest against the fact that
the Budapest Police gave permission to a Neo-Nazi organisation to
use Kossuth Square (in front of the Parliament building) . This
decision creates a situation in which our consequenty anti racist and
anti exclusion movement cannot use Kossuth square  without casting
shadow on its humanistic character.

Considering the above mentioned, we are going to request the Budapest
Police Headquarters to issue a permission for holding our
demonstration on the route starting from Liszt Ferenc Square via
Andrássy Boulevard to Heros' Square . At the same time we declare
that our movement insist on this route and no way to change it
underany  circumstances.

Budapest , 7th February 2003.

The Organisers