REALTOKYO MM Vol. 160

Info info at realtokyo.co.jp
Fri Dec 26 04:51:07 CET 2003

R    E    A    L    T    O    K    Y    O    MAIL MAGAZINE
_____12_26_2003_Fri_vol.160_____ http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*

REALTOKYO wishes

- ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ M E R R Y   C H R I S T M A S - ~ - ~ - ~ -

                         and a happy, relaxed holiday season!

*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*

[This Week's Index]

(1) Out of Tokyo Vol. 077
Memento Mori Building
by Ozaki Tetsuya

(2) Tokyo Editors' Diary
Baba Masataka ("A" magazine) Vol. 016

(3) Event Pick of the Week
The Last Dance
by Andreas

(4) Presents
Russ Meyer Film Festival Goods

This week's RT Picks:

art+cinema+music+stage+design+town = 38 events
including 9 new ones!
Plus new entries on our 'book/disk' page.

Check them out!

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

(1) Out of Tokyo

Vol. 077: Memento Mori Building
by Ozaki Tetsuya

A work that Tsuzuki Kyoichi and Shinsan Nameko made by request
for the catalogue accompanying Mori Art Museum's opening event,
the "Happiness" exhibition, was rejected. The general public
remained surprisingly indifferent, and I think this is a fairly
big problem concerning so-called commissioned art, as well as
Mori Art Museum and its operator, Mori Building Co., Ltd. I spoke
with the two artists, Mori Art Museum's director David Elliott,
and guest curator Pier Luigi Tazzi, who put together the
"Happiness" show (conversations with the latter two via email),
and I'd like to share here what I've learned about the failed
project.

Read more at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/en/column/ozaki77.htm

(2) Tokyo Editors' Diary

Baba Masataka ("A" magazine) Vol. 016

Lost Modern City

I went to Shanghai and Beijing. I was prepared, yet these cities
surprised me. It seems like China has just skipped the "modern"
age and leapt directly into the future. The people here must be
having a hunger for change, that is strong enough to make them
do their best to catch up with all that China has missed in the
last 50 years within just 5 years. In other words, sceneries here
change ten times quicker than in an average city on the planet.
Unscrupulously copied are cutting-edge design and sophistication
from abroad, resulting in structures where latest designs are
simply painted over pre-modern formats. For a link between form
and surface one looks, of course, in vain.

Read more at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/en/diary/0044-henshucho.htm

(3) Event Pick of the Week

The Last Dance
by Andreas

Still looking for a party to dance in the new year? Whether
your answer is yes or no, please plan to drop by the Liquid Room.
Not necessarily for the music or the fun, but because -- as the
dramatic title suggests -- this will be your last chance to set
foot on the dance floor of Shinjuku's legendary club/live house.
The sad truth is that the end of the year coincides with the
closing of Liquid Room, and as a fan of Tokyo's underground/club
music, consider it your duty be at LR in its final hour.
DJs are Tanaka Fumiya and Takkyu Ishino, with a visual feast by
Ukawa Naohiro.
--Andreas

Details at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/event_cgi/ev_viewE.cgi?2,1791

(4) Presents

Five readers win metal pin badges, and another five matchboxes
from the selection of original Russ Meyer Film Festival goods.

To apply and for more info see:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/en/present/present.htm

RT will be back in the new year with:

- Out of Tokyo

- Tokyo Initiators' Diary

- Presents

and more...

In order to make REALTOKYO even more interesting and
Convenient for you, we rely on your feedback. Please send us
opinions or productive suggestions concerning contents,
structure, layouts, etc. Three especially lucky readers who
send a mail to info at realtokyo.co.jp will be chosen and receive
a little gift.

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

------------------------PR-----------------------------------

ad at realtokyo.co.jp <mailto:ad at realtokyo.co.jp>

REALTOKYO is looking for advertisers wanting to place banners
on our web site and/or in the mail magazine. Banners will get
lots of hits from people attracted to a web site full of catchy
information on cinema, art, music, theatre and other fun events
in town. Please contact the following email address for
dimensions and costs.

ad at realtokyo.co.jp <mailto:ad at realtokyo.co.jp>

------------------------PR-----------------------------------

Please click the URL below to stop receiving email and to
change your password.
http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/scheduler/f_configure_en.htm
Users must go to the page above to make changes to their
services;
REALTOKYO regrets that it is unable to process changes received
by email.

No part of the text or images from this site may be used
without permission from the publisher.

Copyright 2000-2003 REALTOKYO