[Psrf] Photostatic Retrograde Archive, no. 27

Lloyd Dunn ll at detritus.net
Mon Dec 22 16:34:08 CET 2003

#  If you no longer wish to recieve e-mail announcements from the
#  Photostatic Retrograde Archive, simply let us know and we will remove
#  your name from the mailing list.
#  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now available for download, Retrograde Release no. 27, January 2004:

PhotoStatic 27

Direct download: http://psrf.detritus.net/pdf/p27.pdf (5.8 Mb)

Description. "Compensation Portraits." The call
for submissions that preceded this issue, written
by Tom Hibbard, has in mind a commemorative
purpose: "The dead return to life. What are we in
someone else's world? What features do we acquire
when we forget to wear our masks of iron? What
personĉ step into the empty space of our marred
and unexplained relation to the world in order to
fix and explain it? Where do our hearts reside?
This is the concept of "compensation" as
conceived by Dadaism and Marcel Duchamp and
especially explored in "Compensation Portraits".
Send us your evidence of the compensation process
as you find it taking place in your life today.
Give us news of that side of life about which
information is normally suppressed. In honor of
Duchamp's 100th birthday." And so the bulk of the
issue consists of portraiture, of a sort. This is
to be understood an appraised as portraiture in a
metaphorical sense: how the purposely chosen face
(or mask) represents the subject perhaps more
meaningfully than the literal, incident light
that might bounce off of the subject's "real"
face at any given moment. It probably goes
without saying that the design for the cover
should be understood as a "compensation portrait"
of the publication itself.

Contributors include. Ll. Dunn, Dan Fuller, John
Held, Jr., John E, Crag Hill, John R, R. K.
Courtney
Tom Hibbard, John Heck, F. John Herbert, Thomas
Wiloch, Janet Janet, Chris Winkler, Das
d'Zoid, Rupert Loydell, Cyntia M. Uleman, Ivan
Sládek, Barry Edgar Pilcher, Serse Luigetti,
Joseph A. Uphoff, Jr.

Project Overview: The Photostatic Retrograde
Archive serves as an electronic repository for a
complete collection of PhotoStatic Magazine,
PhonoStatic Cassettes, Retrofuturism, and Psrf,
(as well as related titles). Issues are posted as
PDF or Ogg Vorbis files, at more or less regular
intervals, in reverse chronological order to form
a chronological mirror image of the original
series. When the first issue, dating from 1983,
is finally posted in several year's time, then
this electronic archive will be complete.

Issue directory: http://psrf.detritus.net/issues.html

Project URL: http://psrf.detritus.net/

--

#  Photostatic Magazine Retrograde Archive : http://psrf.detritus.net/