FW: NYC COUNCIL VOTE POSTPONED

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Tue Dec 16 04:15:48 CET 2003

The capture of Saddam Hussein ended up as bad for our civil
liberties! Vote on the NYC bill of rights of immigrants resolution
was postponed today - because of the Saddam capture. So that noble
supporters of the Bill wouldn't get misunderstood by skinheads,
xenophobes, and isolationists....
ivo

NYC COUNCIL VOTE  POSTPONED

The NYC Council postponed its vote on NYC's Bill of Rights Resolution
-- Resolution 909 --  until January 21, 2004.

In the morning, the Governmental Operations Committee, chaired by
Bill Perkins, voted the resolution out of committee by a much larger
margin than expected, 7-2.  In the afternoon Speaker Gifford Miller
publicly affirmed his strong support for the resolution and made a
commitment to bring the resolution to a vote at the Council's first
meeting  of 2004.

The reason given for the postponement was the breaking news regarding
the capture of Saddam Hussein.  Several strong supporters of the
resolution expressed concerned that a vote for the resolution would
be misunderstood or misrepresented, or both.

We will be in touch regarding next steps to ensure passage of the
resolution in January.

Donna Lieberman
Executive Director
New York Civil Liberties Union