Fw: Contemporary Art in Eastern Europe

anna balint epistolaris at freemail.hu
Tue Dec 9 12:00:30 CET 2003

[do you know experimentals artist from Ukraine?
websites? thank you for suggestions. ab]

From: Daniel Baird <brooklynrail3 at yahoo.com>

Dear Anna Balint:

I am a writer and editor based in Toronto and New
York.
I have been commissioned to research and write an
extended essay on the vanguard of the experimental art
scene in contemporary Eastern Europe. Given the
immensity of the subject and the finitude of my time,
I've decided to foucus primarily on Poland and Russia
(perhaps Ukraine as well), in part because of the
history of radicalism in the visual arts in those
countries. At least part of my essay will inevitably
involve contrasting the contemporary scene with that
of the communist era.

I'm aware that you work in Budapest, but I
thought you would be able to point me toward,
and put me in touch with,  some of the more
interesting, hopefully radical artists currently
working in Russia, Poland, and Ukraine, and also with
the galleries, institutes, artist's run centres, and
so forth, where their work is being exhibited or
performed.  I would also like to be in touch with
relevant curators, writers, and theorists.  I hope to
travel to the region early in 2004.  If there are
websites I can look at in advance, that, of course,
would be ideal.

Your help would be enormously appreciated.  Examples
of my work can be found on the web edition of the
magazine I edit at thebrooklynrail.org.

Sincerely,

Daniel D. Baird