s-conf

anna balint epistolaris at freemail.hu
Wed Dec 3 15:49:39 CET 2003

~ WE SEIZE! STRATEGIC CONFERENCE (S-CONF) ~

<www.geneva03.net>

**WATCH THE STREAM AND INTERVENE**

- -> 9th & 10th December 9.30 'til 17.00 GMT
- -> @ Le Theatre de l'Usine, Geneva, Switzerland
- -> & by Live Stream <http://www.geneva03.net/>
// talkback @ IRC <http://irc.indymedia.org/ #sconf>
- -> & live-logged at <http://irclogs.indymedia.org.uk/sconf/>

* WHAT IS S-CONF? *

Part of the WSIS? WE SEIZE! events and actions taking place around the
World Summit On Information Society  <www.wsis.org>, S-CONF is two days
of open discussions involving local Genevans, WSIS delegates, NGO
members, info-activists and diverse net participants. The conference is
intended to allow exploration of the key issues involved in information
politics- including those excluded or removed from the official WSIS
agenda. S-CONF invites and accepts short in-person presentations and
interventions from those wishing to give them; some programmed
presenters are listed below.

* WHERE IS S-CONF? *

As well as the physical space (see below), S-CONF will use an open,
(b)logged IRC channel to allow a second, parallel layer of discussion
with participants from all over the world. The discussions will be
streamed and viewers/listeners will be able to use the IRC channel to
intervene and take part. Conversation on the s-conf IRC channel will be
projected in the room, so that questions and interventions can be fed
into the live proceedings taking place there.

* WHO'S COMING? *

See <geneva03.net/moin.cgi/WsisGenevaEnParticipation> for the latest
list. Participants include Autonomedia, Oekonux, CPTech,
Bio-informatics.org, SECTOR, G-I-G and Bureau D'Etudes.

* PROGRAMME *

[All scheduled times are published in GMT and are subject to change.
Check http://geneva03.net/moin.cgi/StrategicConference for the latest. ]

_Dec 8th_ PREP DAY

Open preparatory day. Pre-discussion of the topics
and sub-topics that should be tabled for debate within the S-CONF. Get
your ideas tabled. Studio, 4th floor, Usine & IRC: <irc.indymedia.org>
#s-conf.

_Dec 9th_ S-CONF DAY ONE

- -> 9.30 GMT

INFORMATION POLITICS 101: What are the major issues in the emerging
information politics movement? Catch-up time for those who want to get
up to date with the issues with a variety of 'expert' speakers and a
good long question and answer session. No controversy: just for people
to inform themselves.
With: Stefan Merten (Oekonux), Benjamin Mako Hill (Debian), James
Stevens (Consume), Christine Treguier (la FIL and BBA France).

- -> 13.30 GMT

IP LAW: USE, REFUSE, ABUSE. While developing our understanding of the
inequities of IP policymaking and law, should we also develop a strategy
and attitude for engaging it? Are other circuits 'outside' the
jurisdiction of the lawmakers developing in, for example, peer to peer
and wireless network communities?
With: James Love (CPTech), Alan Toner (Autonomedia) and others.

- -> 14.00 GMT

WORKING WITH OPENNESS. How can openness help us in research,
organisation and practice? Are there problems associated with open
organisation? What are the major benefits? Can truly open practice still
be radical? How does open practice work with secret or closed organisation?
With: Oekonux, bio-informatics.org, SECTOR, G-I-G

- -> 17.00 CONCLUDING DISCUSSIONS

_Dec 10th_ S-CONF DAY TWO

- -> 10.30 GMT

INFOWAR: REPORTS FROM THE FRONT Experiences at the recent FTAA Miami
protests suggest an escalation in brutal military suppression and
infowar tactics at anti neoliberalisation protests. This session will
include appraisals of the events in Miami and offer an opportunity to
discuss responses and tactics.
With: Sasha Costanza-Chock, Bureau D'Etudes (simultaneous translation.)
See: http://ftaaimc.org

- -> 12.30 GMT

HACK_IT! Hacklabs & intervening in information/media regimes with tools,
technologies and skills. What are hacklabs, and what are their
possibilities for redistributing information power?
See:
http://info.interactivist.net/article.pl?sid=02/07/23/1218226
&mode=nested&tid=12

With: hackitectura.net, Lausanne IMC, Hacklab representatives from
around Europe

- -> 14.00 GMT

IN/OUT? What approach should we take to confronting issues like media
concentration, patent and copyright inequities and the role of labour?
Should we be working autonomously or within existing 'policy' structures?
With: Communications Rights In Information Society (CRIS) and others
from inside and outside the WSIS process.

- -> 16.00 GMT

AUTONOMOUS MEDIA What is the state of the art in autonomous media
infrastructures? What are our successes and failures? What form should
independent or autonomous media take? Should we be aiming to 'become the
media'? What should this media look like?
With: DeeDee Halleck, Zeljko Blace

- -> 18:00 CONCLUDING DISCUSSIONS & INTERVENTIONS

AFTER S-CONF VISIT POLIMEDIA LAB: THREE DAYS OF SKILL AND KNOWLEDGE
SHARING IN THE HEART OF GENEVA! WSIS? WE SEIZE!

- -> http://geneva03.net/moin.cgi/PolyMediaLab

S-CONF is streamed courtesy of HighNoon,another WE SEIZE! project.See:

- -> http://geneva03.net/moin.cgi/HighNoon