Amerikanische Schlamperei

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Sat Aug 23 18:00:13 CEST 2003

Maybe Canadians can open small power plants near US border to help us
out, like Romanians helped Serbs with gas?
ivo

On 18 Aug 2003 at 16:47, Anna Balint wrote:

8/17/2003 3:08:23 PM, "Ivo Skoric" <ivo at reporters.net> wrote:

>While in Africa, Asia, and some parts of Eastern Europe, black-outs
>are normal and predictable events, there was never a black-out the
>size and scope of the recent one that hit the Eastern seaboard of
>North America.
>
>Explanations provided by US officials - about the aging electro-
>distribution system - sound a little incredulous coming from the
>hyper-electrified hyper-power.
>

>How is it possible that in a not so hot summer in the North America
>such a large and totally unpredicted black-out occurred? If this was
>not a terrorist attack, than what it was? German media offered a
>theory of a computer-virus attack (similar to one that is currently
>targeting Microsoft), targetting electro-distribution in the American
> Northeast.
>
>During NATO bombing of Yugoslavia in 1999, the US dropped grafite
>bombs over Serbian power-plants leaving 2/3 of the country
>temporarily in the dark. Could it be really that here there was no
>outside attack, but merely negligence of the US power providers?

Of course it is possible. Smaller incidents happen literalily daily.
Every day more than one power plant falls out, or electricity lines
are cut. But in control rooms people continuosly correct the gaps,
and
rearrange the distribution. But if too many plants are falling out...
Also the South-East European distribution is interconnected, so that
Romania could regularily help out Serbia during the bombings. Did you
believe  that electricity came back from the bombed power stations
within some days? And when about energy resourses flexibility of the
population also matters in wartime. I was suprised to see down in the
South Romania near the Serbian border the gas station phenomena. In
every village counting 80-120 people, there are 5-10 gas stations...

greetings,
Anna