Amerikanische Schlamperei

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Sun Aug 17 15:08:23 CEST 2003

While in Africa, Asia, and some parts of Eastern Europe, black-outs
are normal and predictable events, there was never a black-out the
size and scope of the recent one that hit the Eastern seaboard of
North America.

Explanations provided by US officials - about the aging electro-
distribution system - sound a little incredulous coming from the
hyper-electrified hyper-power.

Whole states (like Connecticut), large cities in two different
countries, like Detroit and Toronto, and the cosmopolitan center of
the world New York city, were left without power - some parts for
more than 20 hours.

The subways stopped running, the elevators stood still, the air
conditioners died, the refrigerators went warm, a 15 million city of
lights went dark. Of course, the computers lost data, the stock
exchange stopped working, and the criminals had their day, ending up
with $750 million in damages for New York by early estimates. That
number will add up to the next year projected fiscal deficit of $2
billion, making it 3....

How is it possible that in a not so hot summer in the North America
such a large and totally unpredicted black-out occurred? If this was
not a terrorist attack, than what it was? German media offered a
theory of a computer-virus attack (similar to one that is currently
targeting Microsoft), targetting electro-distribution in the American
Northeast.

During NATO bombing of Yugoslavia in 1999, the US dropped grafite
bombs over Serbian power-plants leaving 2/3 of the country
temporarily in the dark. Could it be really that here there was no
outside attack, but merely negligence of the US power providers?

While, undoubtedly, the US military is a very efficient conquering
apparatus, the US home security systems are simply inadequate,
regardless of all the intentions of the current government to install
a sort of a more authoritarian domestic regime.

They, perhaps, pay attention to the wrong details. An example is my
recent trip to Europe. The security personell at New York's JFK
airport made us take our shoes off, addressing the past terrorist
attack attempts, but the screeners failed to notice 6 cigarrete
lighters packed-up in the checked luggage of my wife (intended for
her mom, an avid smoker living in a country with ludicrously
expensive lighters...).

The lighters were discovered only on Frankfurt airport, when we
boarded for the next leg of our journey. I was unaware of that gift
in my wife's luggage (otherwise I would have told her that she can't
pack that in the checked luggage), but I find it rather disturbing
that the quantity of fuel, that could in fact have been used to cause
a fire on the airplane, went un-noticed on a trans-Atlantic flight.
That story, however, makes it easier for me to understand how the
recent black-out might have happened.

ivo