Eyewitness Says USA Encouraged Looting

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Wed Apr 16 19:50:15 CEST 2003

Now, when I think, Bush was right using the word "liberation" - first,
I thought: well, 'liberation' was exactly the part of the communist
doublespeak vocabulary that Soviets used when they rolled their
tanks into Hungary and into Czech republic. In other words,
'liberation' was just the politicaly correct term for plain, down to
earth occupation.

But, if our beloved, great leader, blessed be his providence, told me
that under 'liberation' he meant killing the cops, hell, yeah. That's
LIBERATION, for sure. With Saddam releasing most of the
prisoners before the war, and USMC killing the police during the
war, looting was a logical consequence.

Now, that Bush 'liberated' Iraq so perfectly well, why doesn't he
'liberate' the U.S. as well? Why bringing just to Iraqi people the
benefits of Wild West chaos and anarchy? While in the meantime
imperial authorities stiffen Americans with Patriot Act I, Patriot Act
II, Homeland Security Department and other tools generally more
appropriate for a dictatorship, than for a democracy.

I would like to post a selfish request to our great leader, that in his
quest for return to genuine American value of FREEDOM, he does
not forget his homeland! In particular, I would like the DMV building
in Montpelier, VT, blasted into pieces, since they keep records of
my points, then Vermont Judicial Bureau in White River Junction,
that feeds of my meager wages for quite too long now, and a
couple of small town courts along the NY State Thruway, that all
want my hide for speeding.

I don't know should I submit the GPS coordinates to Pentagon or
to CIA? Who is calling the shots? Or would it be easier just to go
there and point my laser pointer, that my cat is so crazy about, to
the building and wait? Also, an Apache helicopter, or, maybe an A-
10 airplane to smither State Trooper vehicles on the Thruway with
its cancerogenic, pyroformic, DU ammunition, would be a really
nice touch. LIBERATION.

I saw the face of that new-found liberty on the front-pages of
American daily newspapers: Iraqi kids playing on the face of
Saddam statue, and, more intriguingly, a liberated young American
soldier, who, judging by his youthful face, would most certainly be
ID-ed, if he tried to buy a pack of cigarettes, in any US country
store, on a front page of The New York Times, with a gun in his
hands, and a cigarette in his mouth. Perfect product placement!
How much did Phillip Morris, the company that lists "freedom of
choice" as one of its core values, paid for that?

The freedom did not last for long in Iraq, though. As the USMC tank
downed the larger-than-life Saddam statue in the center of Bhagdad
for the embedded journalist's benefit, and alowed, or even
encouraged, the day or two of freedom, it started CO-OPERATING
with the Iraqi security forces soon afterwards. Collaboration with
enemy? Is Tomy Frank going to be court-martialed? On the other
hand - there is really no need to establish Homeland Security
Department and pass Patriot Acts in Iraq: they already have a well
established dictatorship in place, with people ready, willing and
able to enforce it, so why just don't use the available resources?

Meanwhile, President's brother, who is still a Governor, rolled out a
food aid program. For Iraqis? No. For Americans! Not only are
Iraqis starving because of the war, but the families of US soldiers
are going hungry as well, because of the war. Who goes in the
army? The poor go in the army. And when they are gone overseas,
their families don't see much money. And when one sees razed
houses of families who could not meet the mortgage payments in
American poor small towns, one understands why it is so easy to
see stickers "we support our troops" on the lawns of the
delapidated homes that are still standing: probably a husband, or a
son, or a brother, or a close relative, or maybe a friend is those
"troops", and is their sole hope for survival.

It is easy to be anti-war on the intellectual level. After all, there is
nothing that can justify this war expedition. The famous weapons of
mass destruction, are not found and are not even talked about in
media, although they were the primary reason Bush used to justify
the war. And the US abandoned the world, by acting unilaterally in
face of certain defeat in the UN Security Council vote. When a
country, which military spending accounts for 1/3 of entire world's
military spending, acts unilaterally, it is cause for a global alert. I
say we are all on orange right now - and NOT because of Arabs,
but because of Americans. Is Syria next? Or Iran? And what about
North Korea, whose wacky leader is in his personal war with the
US already, regardless of Americans not being willing to play ball
with him?

But then, a lot of people on the left, and in academic circles in the
US, don't even know how to spell duct-tape, much less they have
connection with people who actually use that rather ugly, but
inexpensive fix-all product. Which is why it is easy for Bush's
message, that is all body language and very little content, to
penetrate to the 'silent majority'.

We need global disarmament. Not only disarmament of so-called
rogue regimes. But also of democratic, well-meaning countries.
There is no sense in having all those nuclear weapons that nobody
sane would ever going to use. There is no sense in spending such
vast amounts of money on military and weapons, if the only thing
we really want is peace, freedom and commerce. The US should
be leading the world with example of disarming itself, not by
example of further militarization and war mongering.

As we understand all too well from the example of the dissolution
of the Yugoslav experiment following president Tito's death - and,
by the way, as per the Associated Press Almanac of 1973,
Yugoslavia was extolled as the country that adopted the
Jeffersonian maxim "that government is best which governs least" -
the lack of vision in leadership is often substituted for with finding
an enemy and waging a war. Politicians, that are particularly short
on vision, need a couple of wars to carry them through their terms.

Demilitarization is going to be hard for the US. But it is possible.
Corporations that make military hardware, can start making civilian
hardware. People that work in military, may open their own
businesses or start working in private sector. Some sort of New
Deal would be necessary in the transition period, given the
immense size of US military in terms of both equipment and
personnel. Gradually, military budget can be trimmed to zero -
meanwhile re-directing large chunks of it to help defense
contractors re-structure their production lines to new civilian use
products, and to re-train military personell to be able to compete in
the civilian job-market. That would be the vision that US can offer
the world, and the vision with which US could lead the world in the
21st century and beyond.

Now, we have to unsubstantiated victories at hand: Afghanistan,
with Osama Bin Laden at large, and Iraq, with Saddam Hussein on
the lam. And we have the world of democracy divided: the Anglo-
American sphere akin to ancient Sparta and the Euro sphere akin
to old Athens, on one side, and the axis of evil, that just happens
to be centered at the same place where it was in those ancient
times: Bhagdad/Babylon. A lot of American artists are looking for
funding in Europe these days - because it is harder and harder to
get money for art in the US that spends all on WAR, like Sparta
did. History teaches us that Athens prevailed as a concept in the
end, and its spirit lived through the Roman Republic, Roman
Empire, Catholic Church, and it is still alive and vibrant in the
various democracies of today (to the point that White House pillars
are built to resemble some ancient Greek temple...).

In order to really lead the world, which it can, given it size of
economy and population, the US, however, needs to reform its
ancient democracy. Its concept was way ahead of its time in 18th
century. Not so much in the 21st. The danger, if that reform does
not happen, is for the US to gradually become a totalitarian state.

In former Yugoslavia the nominal ownership of corporations was
public, an amorphous mass of general population, while the real
control over the economy was in the hands of general directors
(CEO-s) which were all high ranking members of the communist
party, which central committee served as a board that run the
country as a monopoly. Eventually, eight republics/provinces, that
each acted as a sovereign political-economic monopolies, started
fighting. And their "security council" - the Presidency - got
gridlocked and incapable of stopping the largest and militarily
strongest monopoly of Milosevic's Serbia of physically attacking
the other monopolies. This analogy proves why George Bush's
move to by-pass UN Security Council is so much more dangerous
for the global security, than anything that Saddam Hussein might
have or might have not done.

In the US large corporations are also publicly owned, with that
public here being identifiable and quantifiable, not amorphous,
ideological construct like in former Yugoslavia. That fortunate fact
is, however, meaningless, since the real control over the economy
rests with an oligarchy of over-paid CEOs that sit on each others
boards and move through the revolving doors between private
corporations, government posts, and academia. They do not belong
to the same political party. Instead, they all hold either law or
business degrees from a dozen of asorted universities, which, in
the end, brings about the same results: they are all bred and
indoctrinated, belonging to the similar ideological paradigm of
beliefs, values, and habits, just as their counterparts were in former
Yugoslavia.

The political system allows for more political parties, but only two
of them, benefitting the abovementioned revolving doors practice,
have enough resources to compete for any political post above
strictly local level. The president of the US is chosen between
nominees of those two political parties, that essentially, more and
more, represent the same class interest. The one is elected, who
wins a majority of votes in most States (i.e. NOT necessarilly a
majority of votes in the Union). This all makes quite a bore of the
world's first democracy.

But the horse-trading behind the scenes is what makes it
questionable whether this is still a democracy at all. The bread and
butter of this democracy is not the President, but the House of
Representatives. Many congresspersons run unopposed in their
districts now as single candidates, kind of like one would expect to
see in Cuba. No more that 20 of the 435 races looked competitive
in 2002. And the Congress is divided almost 50:50 for years now.
The real reasons for that is not that American people are
necessarilly divided 50:50, but that the system in place makes the
50:50 division possible and even logical.

The congressional districts, pieces of populated territory that elect
a congressperson, change their shapes in time to account for
demographic changes. That shape-changing, or re-districting, is in
U.S. done by the State's ruling politicians, and, oh boy, aren't they
cheating. There is even a term in US language (gerrymandering -
according to the name of the person that established this uncanny
practice) that describes the process of shaping districts to serve
the interests of the ruling party. Of course, there is always horse-
trading with the other party (cutting deals to protect incumbents),
so the States are becoming evenly divided between Democratic
and Republican voting districts, creating the 50:50 scenario. Some
states, with longer Republican governorship, are becoming more
Republican, the others with longer Democrat governorship, are
becoming more Democrat. A mathematic model could probably be
worked out to estimate how long it would take for this country to
become a single-party dictatorship with this system in place, if, for
some reason, the stronger party at some point decided to stop
cutting deals.

This system badly needs a reform soon. The only states in the
union that introduced such a reform so far are Iowa (it has handed
redistricting to an independent bureau that is not allowed to take
political consideration such as voting patterns and party
registration into account when drawing boundaries), and Arizona
(whose citizens recently voted by referendum to adopt a similar
system). Such a reform nation-wide would breathe some life in this
stale, old democracy, and maybe enable its citizens to REALLY
elect a president, capable of leading them into the new millenium.

ivo