Re: Werckmeister harmóniák ( 2000)

anna balint epistolaris at freemail.hu
Sun Apr 6 19:44:10 CEST 2003

>btw, does anyone know this film
>http://www.sensesofcinema.com/contents/00/11/tarr.html
>?
>
>I waited in line to see it for a long while but went away just before it opened
>probably watched the irak war instead or listened to the soft pink truth
>(thx 028!)
>
>f.

sure, i know it.
despite the statement of the review, this movie was the first among the movies
that introduces the irrational for describing the dark behavior of the individual and
the masses during a revolt or historic change that softened the heart of some
Hungarian critics. Some other critics, but this time a minority, called it a weak
homework together with the Underground of Emir Kusturica, or the One Million Dollar
Hotel of Wim Wenders, or the  Outpost of Peter Gothar that were unanimously received
in Hungary as a 'metaphysical kitsch'.
Werckmeister Harmonies is a serious movie, presenting some social or politic
happening on a short run. Interesting is also  that Imre Kertesz, and his work
presenting the gray every days of the Holocaust is a writer that was not even
mentioned in contemporary literature handbooks, and his Nobel prize revolted the
critics, and also my favourite movie about the everyday of the dictatorship, the
Outpost of Gothar Peter
http://www.tvguide.com/Movies/database/ShowMovie.asp?MI=38508 has been severly
criticised. God forgives me, I hope that during  the premier that took the breath of
the audience away, there were two people who could not resist to laugh loudly,
the writer of the movie, and me. We are good friends, anyway. I found the movies
absurd, funny, and completely realistic. If one is looking for his books - for
instance his novel the Sinistra district - they are translated to all languages. His
name is Adam Bodor.

greetings,
anna