Religion and War

Ivo Skoric vze3c9dm at verizon.net
Thu Apr 3 00:09:21 CEST 2003

Anglo-American campaign in Iraq, which is a questionable
endeavor by itself, since it was unprovoked by Iraqis and
unsanctioned by the pertinent world's body (UN Security Council),
gets worse by the day - with an increase of civilian casualties,
outrageous conduct of both sides (selling water?), media
manipulation, the obvious road to a long and perditious street battle
- but I kind of hoped that this conflict would be kept at level at least
a notch above the conflicts that we have witnessed in the Balkans
recently - and that at least from the aggressor in this conflict: given
that the British and the Americans are the ubiquitous champions of
human rights, press freedoms, and international law, one would
expect that they would hold at least themselves accountable to
their own high standards.

So, the story that a pamphlet was recently distributed to U.S.
Marines asking them to pray not for themselves and their
commrades, not for Iraqi civilians and their enemies that they are
about to kill (which would be their Christian duty), but for their
"president and his advisers" to "be strong and courageous to do
what is right regardless of critics", struck me as going over the
edge of insanity we observed in Bosnia. This piece of ill-conceived
propaganda smacks of the Al Qaeda suicide bomber training
manual. Since, as it so far became quite clear what 'president and
his advisers' think that 'it is right', they are essentially required to
pray for themselves to be exposed to a risk of death and/or murder.
The pamphlets were created by In Touch Ministries, an evangelical
group that says "We may not all be in the military, but we are all
engaged in warfare ... spiritual warfare."

And what then is the difference between the US Marines and
Hamas?

http://www.thenation.com/outrage/index.mhtml?bid=6&pid=531

ivo