[syndicate] Re: RHIZOME_RAW: Re: MOUCHETTE - Franklin Furnace's first "Future of the Present 2003" Artist

Christopher Fahey [askrom] askROM at graphpaper.com
Tue Apr 1 17:43:26 CEST 2003

> The work is a cultural incarnation of an irresponsible idea. Much of
> mouchettes "success" is based less on the "art" itself and more on the
> feeling of sexual titillation ...

I agree with Eryk, but only on this point. Mouchette appeals to folks in
some rather creepy ways. It uses child sexuality as a tool. That much is
fairly obvious.

> ... that the work promotes.

There is a difference, however, between "using" and "promoting" child
sexuality. "Promotion" implies a deliberate agenda. I believe that the
makers of Mouchette don't posess a whole lot of deliberateness. They are
exploiting sexuality, not pressing any sort of agenda.

Furthermore, how many popular culture censorship advocates constantly
miss the distinction between portrayal and promotion? How many gay
teachers or soldiers have lost their jobs due to other peoples'
inability to make a distinction between practice and advocacy?

> The confusion between art and sexual energy is
> something that I believe should be kept in check,

Our perceptions thoroughly part company here.

> I just want to draw attention to this idea: Mouchette
> is succesful because it sexualizes children, and people
> confuse this with "art". It is a different thing altogether.

Holy moly, are you saying that the sexualization of children is
automatically "not art"? No Donatello? Balthus? Caravaggio? Schiele?
Lewis Carroll? Nabokov? Henry Darger?

-Cf

[christopher eli fahey]
art: http://www.graphpaper.com