Hi, this is the moderator speaking

anna balint epistolaris at freemail.hu
Thu Apr 3 15:11:59 CEST 2003

4/1/2003 7:29:49 PM, integer at www.god-emil.dk wrote:

>patrick - please refrain from advertising on Syndicate without a bypass

Dear Patrick Lichty,

different people instruct list members what to do...
(whereas I am the moderator). Non-moderation and testing
its limits makes me sometimes to think also
that persistent syndicalists follow immediatly
after Old Shutterhand in the top ten of heroism and temper.
Of course hardly anyone follows the commands -
i suppose they are not always meant to be taken seriously,
you know how nn is.
Promoting what you are doing is a relatively a minority
position on this list... sorry.

greetings,
anna balint

II. hi, here is the outsider speaking

4/2/2003 9:21:03 PM, integer at www.god-emil.dk wrote:

>>Subject: Call for URLs for ZNC browser
>
>>Explanation: ZNC browser
>
>aka nebula.m81
>

>Peter Luining = another 2bit occident poser with 0+0 ideas

Dear Netochka Nezvanova,
One day also the disadvantages of the circulating software art
definitions will also show up. Concentrating on form, differentiating
and dealing with virtual structure independently of real structure,
valuating programming out of the context and content, utilitarian
aesthetics reduce to a common denominator not only nebula m.81 and
ZNC 02, but Jodi's Wrong Browser, and also Vuk Cosic's History of Art
for the Blind.

I had only one opportunity to look a bit more closely to software art
works, at transmediale 01. To be honest i was also shocked - for precisely
non formal reasons -  to see that neither Antoine Schmitt (one of the
artists awarded for his program Vexation 1) neither the jury, nor anybody has
referred to Eric Satie's Vexation - a musical piece performing the same content -
when describing this software.

Using the same language and form would make equal for instance Homeros and
Empedocles for they both write in dactylic hexamaters, whereas even Aristote
said that they have nothing in common exept the form, so that it was right to
state that Homeros was a poet, and Empedocles was a scientist.
NN (the name of Osiris in the underworld) and nebula m.81 is one thing,
ZNC is another, minimal, non-mimetic, funny browser a la Peter Luining.
The software also is a creation, but by writing a software the artists
automatically contextualize themselves. One can only work out his own
individuality within the software's context, just as painters work out
their style within a canon.
My opinion.

greetings,
anna balint