UNDERSTANDING THE BALKANS

Misko mpandil at soros.org.mk
Thu Sep 12 14:28:40 CEST 2002

The Contemporary Arts Center  - Skopje
cordially invites you to attend the promotion of the book

- UNDERSTANDING THE BALKANS-

Thursday, 19. september 2002 at 20:00 hrs.

CIX Gallery,
Orce Nikolov 109,
1000 Skopje
http://www.scca.org.mk/utb/utb2000/index.htm
http://www.scca.org.mk/utb/index.htm
http://www.scca.org.mk

The promoters of the project and book: Melentie Pandilovski, Bojan
Ivanov, Branislav Sarkanjac,
and Zoran Petrovski.

Texts by:
Edi MUKA, Gezim QENDRO, Luchezar BOYADJIEV, Alexander KIOSSEV,
Dostena ANGUELOVA - Lavergne,
Ana PERAICA, Charis N. MELETIADIS, Murat HATIPOGLU, Zoran NASKOVSKI,
Dejan SRETENOVIC,
Dragana ZAREVAC, Stevan VUKOVIC, Ferid MUHI, Bojan IVANOV, Branislav
SARKANJAC,
Ile CVETKOSKI, Violeta SIMJANOVSKA, Nebojsa VILI, Melentie
PANDILOVSKI, Zoran PETROVSKI.

UNDERSTANDING THE BALKANS

Coordinator of the project
- Melentie Pandilovski

Program commitee
- Melentie Pandilovski, art historian
- Bojan Ivanov, art historian
- Branislav Sarkanjac Ph.D., philosopher
- Zoran Petrovski, art historian

General Idea of the project

The rapid changes that the countries of South-East Europe are
confronted with make it a necessity and
essential challenge to perform a certain "archaeological cut" through
the different heterogeneous layers
of the Balkan region. Therefore the international Conference
UNDERSTANDING THE BALKANS is
conceived as a challenge to examining the alteration stratum of the
Balkans, concentrating strongly on
questions of society, culture, art, and history. Reflections and
analysis dedicated to these complex issues
are examined during the Conference.

UNDERSTANDING THE BALKANS in this goal attempted to focus on
examining the intersection of the acquired
codes in the social, historical, cultural context we have used on the
Balkans in our immediate past, as well as
in considering the changes through which our societies, and culture,
are undergoing over the past decades.

  Themes discussed

1. Codes Not Understood: Reasons and Consequences
2. Identities: Creation and Use
3. Mediated Images: Theory and Creation
4. Networks: New Quality or Redundant Accumulation

The poject was supported by:
Foundation Open Society Institute Macedonia
European Cultural Foundation
Pro Helvetia Réseaux Est-Ouest

Melentie Pandilovski
Director