No subject

claudia westermann media at ezaic.de
Wed Oct 30 18:51:49 CET 2002

http://www.uni-weimar.de/architektur/atheo/bk/2003/index.html

Bauhaus University Weimar
9th International Bauhaus Colloquium
Weimar, April 24th - 27th 2003
Medium Architecture

Transitions in Architectural Discourse
Call for Papers

The Bauhaus-colloquium is an international conference held in Weimar
at regular intervals since
1976. An interdisciplinary forum, the series aims to discuss major
issues relevant to the
contemporary architectural debate. This conference is jointly called
by Professor Marco De Michelis
( Gropius-Chair, Bauhaus University Weimar / Chair for History of
Architecture, IUAV Venice) and
Professor Gerd Zimmermann ( Department of Design and Theory of
Architecture, Bauhaus University
Weimar).

The 9th International Bauhaus Colloquium aims to explore recent
changes in the ways that
architecture functions as both medium and as a language under our
present cultural, technological
and economic conditions. After an architecture as sign
-Postmodernism-, and an architecture as text
-Deconstructivism-, are we now confronting an architecture as medium
- a telematic culture?
We consider as media all those instruments, techniques and symbolisms
which form the basis of
exchanges: writing, images, numbers, film, television, internet and
so forth. It appears that
architecture, as the very vehicle of perception, behaviour and
information, may be viewed as the
embodiment of the medial.

Might then architecture take its cue from the emerging discipline of
media-theory? Not as a
simplistic, analogical adoption but rather seeking ways in which new
sets of tools, methods and
concepts dealing with information, simulation and virtuality might be
found. Not reducing
architectural knowledge to the terms of current theories of
television, telecommunication and
cinema but rather expanding media-theory through an understanding of
architecture as the
spatialisation of society and as an essential social medium in its own right.

etc ...

Call for Papers
Deadline: November 1st 2002

Please send an abstract of no more than 300 words, indicating the
appropriate workshop, and a
brief CV by post or email to the following address:

Bauhaus-Universität Weimar
Fakultät Architektur
Professur Entwerfen und Architekturtheorie
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Gerd Zimmermann
Geschwister-Scholl-Strasse 8
D - 99423 Weimar
Germany