The Process

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Tue Oct 15 18:37:29 CEST 2002

How do I prove my employment eligibility now after being almost 13
years in this country, after I have been employed many times,
received unemployed benefits a couple of times, obtained a tax id
as a sole proprietor of a business and for another one for a non-
profit corporation of which I am one of the founders?

I had a social security card since about three weeks after arriving
to the U.S. However, it was in my backpack when it was stolen on
July 9, 2002. I reported the crime to the police and filed the
complaint #4881 at the 23rd precinct of NYPD. I've never received
any progress on my case from the NYPD.

I called Social Security Administration in about a week after the
crime and asked for a duplicate card. They said a form would be
sent to me. But the for was never sent to me. Now, the form can
also be printed out from the internet. But the form is not really
relavant. What is relevant is possession of original documents.

For example - as a proof of identity one has to have a driver's
license. But driver's license was ALSO stolen from me in that
same backpack. What if DMV asks for original social security card
as a requirement to issue a driver's license, and if SSA asks for the
original driver's license to issue a social security card, and if both
of them were stolen from you (like they were from me)?

Shouldn't victims of the crime have some rights? Like, at least, a
right not to be terrorized by bureaucracy? In another example - the
Social Security Administration got my date of birth wrong when
they gave me the card 13 years ago. I discovered that only when I
filed taxes electronically - because the date of birth is used as a
password for electronic filing. So, I lie there every year that I was
born in 1966, while in fact I was born in 1964.

Why do I have to lie? Because the Social Security Administration
cannot change the date just by receiving my birth certificate. They
need to see original, and probably a certified translation (because
the date is in Euro format), of my birth certificate as a proof of age;
they also need to see an original proof of identity (such as drivers
license); and - since I was born outside the U.S. - they also need
to see a proof of my current immigration status, original, of course.
On top of that, all this needs to be brought to the local office, wait
there in an unending queue and than, perhaps, get sent back home
for more documents.

And how exactly do I show the original INS document if I just sent
it back in for renewal? I carry with me, usually, the I-571, the
refugee travel document, which doubles in its purpose as a
passport and employment authorization. But it is valid only for a
year, and it costs $110 (presently) every year to renew it. What is
more odious, than the price, is that it, in INS words, "usually takes
140 to 170 days ... to process this type of case". How can a
document renewal take 5 months with, supposedly, the most
advanced government on the planet?

So, in every 17 months period, I walk around for 5 months without
the proof of my INS status. Of course, I still have the A# and if
anybody checks it in the computer, my legal status would be
confirmed - but would prospective employers take the trouble of
doing so, or would they just dismiss me as undocumented? And
how do I get social security card, if I don't have my original I-571?

When you call 1-800-772-1213 number, after fighting your way
through the elaborate 'press 1, press 2' voicemail system, the
default impolite representative tells you to call your local office,
because you have to go there anyway, and literally hangs up on
you. At your local office (212-831-8960), of course, there is a
straight-forward outgoing message that explicitly advises you to
call the 1-800# as the best way to solve what you need, and, then,
the system hangs up on you. When you finally cheat the system
(by frantically pressing a lot of zeros on your telephone) and get
through to a human at your local office, and ask her how long is the
wait, she, with a refreshing honesty, tells you: "ooooh, sir, it's a
long time, there's a lot of people." She did say, though, that she
will process my application, as long as I show her the drivers
license (which I got, because NYS DMV seems to have climbed
into the 21st century, and I was able to order the duplicate over
Internet) and the original I-94 that I got when my immigration status
was adjusted, that shows my A#.

Still, I don't see why do I have to loose a day of my time waiting in
a social security office, because somebody stole my social
security card. This feels to me like adding an insult to the injury. I
know that a theory of NYPD, SSA and INS conspiracy to make my
life miserable is as plausible as the theory of Iraq, Iran and North
Korea being the axis of evil, but, hey, since Bush can whine about
his worries, so can I.

ivo