Harry Kipper is back

anna balint epistolaris at freemail.hu
Thu Oct 10 20:07:26 CEST 2002

Harry Kipper was/is an artist originally from Yorkshire
well known for his psycho-geographical explorations
and dadaist performances. He was venturing also in
new media till the mid-nineties.
In 1995 he started a European art-tour by bike,
crossing the countries and cities in the shape
of the letter 'A' on the map. He started from down in Spain,
from Cadiz, arrived in Hamburg and went down again to Italy.
He disappeared somewhere in Italy, we never
heard of him since he was reaching Bologna.
That he vanished has nothing to do with Luther Blisset
who emerged in that region and at that time,
he conquered soon Great Britain and
Germany with his art, and a procedure called media guerilla -
this is nothing, but a strange coincidence.
After almost a decade, Harry Kipper was seen in Budapest
yesterday evening in a restaurant and allowed us to address
one question. We asked Mr. Kipper whether psychogeographical
exploration means exploring what the old masters called
genius loci. He answered:
- 'Genius loci'? Do you mean 'genius locae'?
and he went away, he added only:
- I'll stop in Nove Zamky as well.