Conspiracy?

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Tue Oct 8 21:54:42 CEST 2002

What did we have recently?

1) a derranged individual firing shots at the UN building in NYC to
bring attention to the plight of North Korea.

2) stabbing of Paris mayor.

3) the Beltway sniper who claimed how many young (this sniper
specializes at high school kids...) lives so far? 6, 7?

4) spectacular explosion of a French super-tanker off Yemeni coast.

5) Al-Jazeera's release of supposedly Osama Bin Laden's audio
tape telling us about soon to happen events that would bring fear to
our hearts (sniping our kids down?) and that would hurt our
economic lifeline (exploding our tankers?).

6) Bush giving a speech in which he promised the nation to
valiantly fight (against Saddam, not Osama, though) for our right
not to live in fear.

What can we make out of that?

1) The OBL tape appeared post-festum, i.e. it could be engineered
by a copy-cat wanna be OBL threatening with events that already
happened or are in progress, while those events may be separate
and not orchestrated as a part of the same agenda.

2) or it may be indeed tha Al Qaeda is able to simultaneously blow
up French tankers and shoot teenagers in suburban Maryland.

3) whatever the case, Bush is misplacing his war. But, at least, he
is consistently stubborn about it, and he might get his way in
Congress.

4) some congresspersons may engage in filibuster to prevent or
delay passing the resolution - but the resolution itself is watered
down sufficiently (war depends on Saddam's compliance with the
UN inspections, with US hoping to strong-arm the UN SC into
passing a new resolution with which Saddam would not be able to
comply, giving the Anglo-Saxon Coalition freedom to attack, and
leaving Congressional hands clean of blood), so it is likely to pass

5) besides, Congress is going to vote for anything, just not to have
to watch Bush on TV every night whining how he wants to protect
American freedom by toppling Saddam Hussein - ok, go there,
remove the man and stop giving boring speeches about it. if Byrd
goes with filibuster - it is going to be a war of attrition bewteen Byrd
and Bush...

6) we may still have tankers blown up and teenagers shot down,
because even if this has something to do with OBL, it has nothing
to do with Saddam, and while Iraqi people may be better off without
him, it won't really have a short-term impact on the U.S. - in the
long-term the oil may be cheaper, but then, maybe Al Qaeda waits
in Kurcistan to take over Iraq, once the U.S. rid it of Saddam, in
which case Bush's problems are going to increase AFTER the war.

7) more immediately, Bush will be judged by how he handles the
quite impressive lock-out of the U.S. Pacific coast ports. the
economy is losing $2B a day, and the media is portraying workers
badly (like listing all the beautiful things they walked out from - like
$100K salaries and health packages - so, they must be not telling
us something, because it is hard to believe that workers would
walk out on that), preparing us to expect methods that Reagan
used to get air-traffic controllers back to work...

8) meanwhile, while Dow closes at its 4 year low, every day at 4
pm at NYSE they continue applauding to that guy that invented
shorting the stock...

ivo
Ivo Skoric
1773 Lexington Ave