Autonogram #13: Surrealist Public Relations

Ben at Autonomedia ben at autonomedia.org
Tue Nov 19 11:47:50 CET 2002

greetings one and all; here's your very late and bursting at the
seams digital envelope full of new Autonomedia releases and project
updates --->

Contents of this Autonogram, with links:
1. New Book: Surrealist Subversions
http://www.autonomedia.org/surrealistsubversions
2. New Book: Tactical Reality Dictionary
http://www.autonomedia.org/tacticalreality
3. New Book: The Molecular Invasion
http://www.autonomedia.org/molecularinvasion
4. New 2003 Calendars now available
http://www.autonomedia.org/2003saints,
http://www.autonomedia.org/2003sheroes
5. New book imprint edited by Peter Lamborn Wilson
http://www.autonomedia.org/exit18, with a gala party in December
6. Some recent points-of-debate from the Interactivist Info Exchange

and with that, here we go!

* * * * *

A fundamental question I'm asking myself about a thousand times a day
is "Why in the world are we maintaining this present reality?"
(sometimes phrased as "Where's that rocketship to outta here?") The
first two books on my list here deal with this question from very
divergent places, but in a way that, when combined with a strong cup
of coffee, exudes an explosive complementarity.

"Surrealist Subversions" is a brick of a book, at 742 pages perfect
for hurling through the glass window of the Art History zoo -- which
has had surrealism tied to an early-twentieth-century stake for quite
some time now. Largely an anthology of "Arsenal/Surrealist
Subversions", the Chicago-based surrealist journal borne of a
late-60s dissatisfaction with the way things were going, the book
seeks to continue the project of realizing poetry in everyday life.
Of course, most of us are prevented from "realizing" poetry just like
that, so a good chunk of this book is devoted to their critique of
the miserabilist components of everyday life that conspire to block
the Marvellous ("miserabilism" being the system which "produces both
misery and the idea that misery is the only possible reality"). As
expected, this critique often overlaps with a fundamental critique of
capitalism, and in fact a Surrealist flyer called "Who Needs the
WTO?" received wide distribution in Seattle in those legendary days
in November of 1999. [For a review of this book pointing more towards
the relationship between Chicago Surrealism and the Global
Anti-Capitalist movement, go to
http://www.autonomedia.org/surrealistsubversions/review.html .]

Critique of miserabilism in place, the book also traces the history
of American surrealism, first by collecting documents from within the
movement ("The Surrealist Adventure: Total Nonconformism,
Insubordination, and Revolution as the Way to a Non-Repressive
Civilization") and then by tracing the surrealist path via eruptions
of the Marvellous in the culture at large ("Surrealist Action: Social
Transformation as Festival"). The task of binding the whole project
together is expertly accomplished by editor Ron Sakolsky,
particularly with his lengthy introduction to the book, in which he
gives significant cultural and biographical background to the major
and minor players in the movement. All in all, this is a tremendous,
thoroughly illustrated book which will hopefully provoke and inspire
restless and irritated imaginations to gorgeous creative action.

Surrealist Subversions http://www.autonomedia.org/surrealistsubversions

* *

Meanwhile, taking up far less space on the shelf but equally
inspiring (and demanding) in its critique of Perceived Reality is
Konrad Becker's "Tactical Reality Dictionary." Perhaps you've had the
experience of reading, say, "Society of the Spectacle" and thereafter
having a whole new mechanism for making sense of your experience of
the world? Or of suddenly realizing that the world as perceived is
primarily a media environment, with producers and their agendas
lurking everywhere and in everything? This book is one of those, or
at least it has been for me in the last few days. Becker is a
familiar name in the world of Tactical Media (he's giving a keynote
speech on the topic at the Amsterdam "World Information Conference"
in a few weeks -- see http://www.world-information.org), and this
slim book acts as a sort of primer on what could be called Dominant
Reality Management. Becker defines, in short essays, 72 terms that
initially sound like they come from a Public Relations 101 textbook,
but his project is much more than a decon-job of the ad industry. His
concern is primarily in the manipulation of information to construct
myths, with the intention of harmonizing subjective experience of the
environment -- what he calls "Information Peacekeeping", the purest
form of war. The terms that he introduces and defines in this book,
then, illuminate the many tactics and strategies involved in this
manipulation and construction. It's enough to make you suspicious of
every billboard, every registration number, every security camera.

But fortunately, Becker's critique isn't purely a negative one.
Understanding the workings of Perception Management, etc., is
necessary in order to effectively formulate a Future Heritage. He
longs for a "Future Heritage foundation of cultural intelligence" and
"foresight institutes exploring the multidimensional potential of
human experimental communication beyond the role as consumers."
Re-inserting digital human rights and digital ecology into the
technological environment in an effort to democratically shape the
future of communication is what this book hopes to do. But he doesn't
stop there -- he's all for Critical Hedonism, in which we can escape
the vicious circle of forced work for wages and imposed leisure,
escape symbolic dominance and cultural entrainment, the "reality" of
everyday life and the flatlands of binary logic. As he puts it, "The
movement of critical escape from materialism is a global language of
zero work ethics in full e-fact. Towards the united international
hedonistic diversification, critical escapism will dance at the grave
of ordinary pancapitalism." Exclamation point! So in other words he's
aiming for an end to miserabilism and the realization of poetry in
everyday life, but definitely in other words. And let me tell you,
with a strong cup of coffee and this pair of books on your desk, it's
well-near impossible to avoid signing up for a seat on that
rocketship to outta here about a million times a day!

Tactical Reality Dictionary http://www.autonomedia.org/tacticalreality

* * *

Now I'm all out of breath, so here's a description by the Critical
Art Ensemble of their new book, "The Molecular Invasion", a critique
of corporate science, primarily dealing with tactics of
contestational biology.

<CAE>The current neo- and endocolonial initiatives by corporations
attempting to consolidate the food chain and its markets from the
molecular level on up presents anti-capitalist activists with a new
biological front that requires a new set of tactical responses.
Currently, activists are relying on traditional methods and means for
slowing the corporate molecular invasion. While such activities are
useful, they are also insufficient in and of themselves. Current
radical practices, such as luddite oriented sabotage, seem to do more
damage to the movement than to corporations. In our book,the Critical
Art Ensemble suggests new tactics and strategies that could be used
to challenge corporate authority on the _molecular level_. CAE hopes
to demonstrate that there is no place (physical, virtual, or
molecular) that biotech corporations can act uncontested. By
appropriating and reverse engineering corporate tools, resistant
culture can effectively and efficiently fight the profit machine
where ever it may reveal itself. </CAE>

More on this book can be seen at
http://www.autonomedia.org/molecularinvasion, including the full
introduction to the book; the authoring collective can be found on
the web at http://www.critical-art.net.

* * *

Exit 18 is a new imprint from Autonomedia devoted to upstate New York
themes and authors, edited by our Hudson Valley correspondent and
dear colleague, Peter Lamborn Wilson. Peter's long been a fan of
pamphleteria (witness his passionate stategy in "Escape from the 19th
Century": "If you really love someone, buy rare old yellowing Fourier
pamphlets and let your beloved discover them as if by accident in
musty library of deceased uncle..."), so naturally, the first
offering from Exit 18 is a series of 5 pamphlets. For full
descriptions, please go to the web page at
http://www.autonomedia.org/exit18, but in brief: "Ayahuasca and
Shamanism" is a 24-page interview with the radical anthropologist
Michael Taussig by Peter Wilson, concerning anthropology, radical
politics, and hallucinogenia in Colombia; "High in the Himalayas" by
Marilyn Stablein is a memoir (with recipes!) of her travels and
adventures in India and Tibet in the 60s and early 70s; "Select
Strange and Sacred Sites: The Ziggurat Guide to Western New York" by
Th. Metzger is a road guide to weirdo psychogeography in the Finger
Lakes district; "Overcoming Fitness" by Robert Kocik examines the
Human Genome Project and attempts to code some poetry into the
commercial-grade DNA of the future; and the anonymous pamphlet
"Hieroglyphica" projects a thousand points of darkness onto these
Lite Times via a long Rosicrucian poem.

Each pamphlet is $5, or $20 for the entire set. And if you're in the
Hudson Valley area, you're welcome to come to the gala release party
for the series at the Uptown Cafe in Kingston, NY on December 8 at
2pm. The authors and editor will all be present to read from their
work, sign copies, give advice and make merry (beer, wine, tea and
coffee all available). The Uptown is at 33 North Front Street,
Kingston NY, telephone 845-331-5439. Right next door is a great used
bookstore as well -- Alternative Books -- so don't worry about being
early for the event, as there's plenty to do!

* * *

A whole raft of new calendars for the new year showed up in the
warehouse recently; have a look at
http://www.autonomedia.org/2003saints and
http://www.autonomedia.org/2003sheroes to see their covers and read
more about them. If you're unfamiliar with our decade-long calendar
project, though, here's a blurb I wrote just for you: Autonomedia's
Calendars of Jubilee Saints, Sheroes and Womyn Warriors squeeze
millennia of radical history into a pair of heavily-illustrated 17 x
24-inch wall-hanging calendars. The famous, the obscure, and the
nonspectacularly notorious peer out, cheek by jowl, hoping to inspire
the sorts of behavior that landed them in these calendars in the
first place (which is detailed in the sidebar texts). Our Pantheon is
always growing, too, as the righteously troublesome continue to die
off, entering calendrical eligibility! (Newcomers this year include
radical sociologist Pierre Bourdieu, historian of the Kronstadt
Rebellion Ida Mett, Indian anti-imperialist Bhagat Singh, and British
Situationist Ralph Rumney, among dozens of others).

* * * * *

Finally, in non-book news, the web-based "Interactivist Info
Exchange" continues to engage all those who come to its home
(http://slash.autonomedia.org). Please visit if you're unfamiliar --
this is our "bulletin board" where articles and essays relevant to
the Autonomedia project are posted in a dynamic format, enabling
dialog and argument well into the small hours where necessity
requires it. Some recent pieces of interest include:

A Surrealist manifesto against the Iraq war
http://slash.autonomedia.org/article.pl?sid=02/10/16/1558248

p.m., author of "Bolo Bolo", writing on Suburbia
http://slash.autonomedia.org/article.pl?sid=02/10/26/2044209

The Midnight Notes Collective writing on the anti-war movement
http://slash.autonomedia.org/article.pl?sid=02/10/27/1615237

Konrad Becker, of the Tactical Reality Dictionary, on the dark ages
of new media
http://slash.autonomedia.org/article.pl?sid=02/09/26/1532258

Twenty Southern Italian activists were arrested last week for
"subversive association"
http://slash.autonomedia.org/article.pl?sid=02/11/16/1621202

Antonio Negri on Deleuze and Guattari and A Thousand Plateaus
http://slash.autonomedia.org/article.pl?sid=02/09/16/2053209

* * * * * * * * * * *

That's it for this one; there will be more soon, I promise. Do let me
know if you're not interested in receiving any more of these -- I try
to keep this list trim and fit -- and of course, send accolades where
appropriate as well. More importantly, though, please forward this
Autonogram to your comrades and co-readers, especially to the radical
librarians, the engaged professoriat, the critical hedonists, the
street-theaterians, and your sweet Mum (she wants to see what you're
up to, or so she tells me). The point of what we're doing here isn't
to be obscure, so please help us get the word where it'll do the most
good. Thanks.

toot,
Ben at Autonomedia