multiple hardware-based MPEG2 decoder cards in 1 PC

Rob Coenen rob at solidrocketboosters.com
Sat Nov 16 16:45:55 CET 2002

Hi all,
ok I have a real serious question here:
I want to do a project which is about doing video for more than wide screen;
eg 3x widescreen
so instead of 16:9 it's 48:9. In fact it's 3 screens placed next to
eachother.
In the past I would have used 3 MPEG2-harddisk players (1 for each screen)
and sync-start them.

I want to try something new; and try to use multiple hadrware-based MPEG2 decoder cards  in 1 PC, which can be controlled from software.
I know that there is hardware out there that supports this sort of stuff, like the Optibase VideoPlex Pro (up to 6 cards in 1 PC) but this is far beyond my budget (several €1000's / each card). Besides of that, these cards offer much too much, like video/over IP, etc
My idea is to get 3 XCards from SigmaDesigns; because they are much cheaper (yet still not really cheap) and they are DirectShow compatible.

So what do you guys think, will this work? put 3 X-Cards in 1 machine and control them
from Vbasic / or some other programming language.
Is this possible?

Better ideas for building a video platform that can control 3 (or more) screens at a time?

-Rob