___ R E A L T O K Y O MAIL MAGAZINE Vol. 77___

Tetsuya OZAKI ozaki at blue.ocn.ne.jp
Thu May 9 20:17:33 CEST 2002

R    E    A    L    T    O    K   Y    O    MAIL MAGAZINE
_____5_10_2002_Fri_vol.77___________ http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

[This Week's Index]

(1) Tokyo, 4 Weeks
SKAM Japan Tour

(2) Tokyo Culture Diary by Composite's chief editor, Sugatsuke Masanobu
Vol. 029

(3) Event Pick of the Week
Since Godzilla

This week's RT Picks:

art+cinema+music+stage+design+town = 41 events
including 14 new ones!
Plus new entries on our 'book/disk' page.

Check them out!

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

(1) Tokyo, 4 Weeks

SKAM Japan Tour by Ikeda Maiko

"Skam is coming! But we won't tell you who is playing!" What mysterious
kind of an event is that? This is going to happen in May, and those
familiar with the name "Skam" will also be familiar with their type of
humour. But it's an event where also those who are still tapping in the
dark will have their fun....

Read more at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/english/4weeks/f_4weeks.htm

(2) Tokyo Culture Diary by Composite's chief editor, Sugatsuke Masanobu

Vol. 029

Since yesterday I'm in Paris for a feature story about the Paris
Collections, which are starting today with the first shows. The first one
I see is Junya Watanabe. His line features - somewhat untypically for
him - dresses with deep cuts in the backs. They're beautiful, but those
who expect more revolutionary stuff from Watanabe will be a little
disappointed by the show. The next one is an imaginative presentation by
Balenciaga, that is put together with the help of an original DVD,
followed by Dior, whose creationsare shown in a giant tent near Eiffel
Tower. Continuing the recent extreme tendencies, this time the show is
dominated by American Indian and Roman themes. It is also marked by
designer John Galliano's refined commercial sense, since he put strong
emphasis on accessories by equipping almost all models with bags and
belts, and dressing them up with T-shirts carrying Dior logo prints under
jacketsandcoats. In other words, it's a provocative posture assuming
that, rather than the main creations that are presented at the shows,
what actually sells are small items such as accessories and T-shirts.

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/english/composite/f_composite.htm

(3) Event Pick of the Week

Since Godzilla

I was really surprised how different the Japanese and the American
'Godzillas' are when I watched that Hollywood movie. Right, and there
was also an excellent analysis by Nakazawa Shinichi. Now they're
showing that Godzilla in an art museum, and you might wonder who came
up with this crazy idea this was. Well, the exhibition is held at the
Okamoto Taro Museum. Okamoto is the man with the famous statement
"geijutsu wa bakuhatsu da (art is explosion)," and now you'll agree that
in this case the concept seems not that strange anymore. On display are
stuffed Godzilla toys that were used in the movies, miniature models,
posters, photos, scenarios, and even material about the Bikini Atoll
incident that initially led to the creation of Godzilla. Also exhibited will
be works by Godzilla contemporary, Yanobe Kenji. (Editorial Staff)

Find details at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/event_cgi/ev_viewE.cgi?4,967

Next week on RT:

- Out of Tokyo

- Presents

and more…

In order to make REALTOKYO even more interesting and convenient
for you, we rely on your feedback. Please send us opinions or
productive suggestions concerning contents, structure, layouts,
etc. Three especially lucky readers who send a mail to
info at realtokyo.co.jp.
will be chosen and receive a little gift.

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

---PR------------------------------------------------------------

ad at realtokyo.co.jp <mailto:ad at realtokyo.co.jp>

REALTOKYO is looking for advertisers wanting to place banners on
our web site and/or in the mail magazine. Banners will get lots of
hits from people attracted to a web site full of catchy information
on cinema, art, music, theatre and other fun events in town.
Please contact the following email address for dimensions and costs.

ad at realtokyo.co.jp <mailto:ad at realtokyo.co.jp>

Please click the URL below to stop receiving email and to change
your password.
http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/scheduler/f_configure_en.htm
Users must go to the page above to make changes to their services;
REALTOKYO regrets that it is unable to process changes received by
email.

No part of the text or images from this site may be used
without permission from the publisher.

Copyright 2002 REALTOKYO