___ R E A L T O K Y O MAIL MAGAZINE Vol. 75___

Tetsuya OZAKI ozaki at blue.ocn.ne.jp
Thu May 2 20:20:48 CEST 2002

R    E    A    L    T    O    K    Y    O    MAIL MAGAZINE
_____5_3_2002_Fri_vol.76___________ http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

[This Week's Index]

(1) Interview
Holger Czukay

(2) Out of Tokyo
Vol. 036: Adult Playgrounds

(3) Event Pick of the Week
Gokiburi Combinart: Nenmaku Hikuhiku Geldisco

This week's RT Picks:

art+cinema+music+stage+design+town = 56 events
including 12 new ones!
Plus new entries on our 'book/disk' page.

Check them out!

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

(1) Interview

RT caught the pioneer of sampling and collage music, Holger Czukay
(formerly of the
seminal German band Can) during his recent Japan tour.

"I already pointed out when we started Can in 1968 that, while everyone in
Europe
was only focusing on British and American music, we should pay much more
attention
to Japan. The western music they were playing here at the time was
something like the
Ventures, who didn't actually play original material, but did something
comparable with
play-back elevator music. However, I felt that the Japanese were very
sensitive and
open also towards other styles of music, although both Japanese and western
people
first laughed when hearing each other's music. I like the habit of the
Japanese to digest
cultures and mix them with their own one, and with Can I had much
expectation from
our Japanese audience."

Read more at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/english/interview/holger01.htm

(2) Out of Tokyo

Volume 036: Adult Playgrounds

I went to see Artnova Vol. 9, an event that was held with the special
support of Asahi
Beer, combining artistic live performances, drinks, and a dinner buffet.
This first drag
queen event in the "Artnova" series was coordinated by Margarita, whom
readers of
RT's Japanese page know from the popular "Hawatari 35cm" column (currently
pausing).

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/en/column/ozaki36.htm

(3) Event Pick of the Week

Gokiburi Combinart: Nenmaku Hikuhiku Geldisco (M.S.A. Collection)

Gokiburi Combinart are back with a new version of this monumental work of their
special '3-K (kitanai+kitsui+ kiken or dirty+hard+dangerous) musical' style
dedicated
to the lower-income class!The piece tells the story of a man of total
misfortune on his
way to a place known as the 'paradise for people who'd better not been
born.' That's
pretty hard stuff, but the song where they're singing of the "life of
cursing and being
cursed" somehow has a refreshing feel to it. This new arrangement is
announced to
feature more songs and more gel than the original, so that this one finally
deserves
being called a real 'geldisco.' The sheets they hand out might not be
enough to fully
protect you from the mess, so better leave the party wear at home.
--Kanikoji Kinuko

Find details at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/event_cgi/ev_viewE.cgi?3,469

Next week on RT:

- Tokyo, 4 Weeks

- Tokyo Culture Diary

- Presents

and more…

In order to make REALTOKYO even more interesting and convenient
for you, we rely on your feedback. Please send us opinions or
productive suggestions concerning contents, structure, layouts,
etc. Three especially lucky readers who send a mail to
info at realtokyo.co.jp.
will be chosen and receive a little gift.

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

---PR------------------------------------------------------------

ad at realtokyo.co.jp <mailto:ad at realtokyo.co.jp>

REALTOKYO is looking for advertisers wanting to place banners on
our web site and/or in the mail magazine. Banners will get lots of
hits from people attracted to a web site full of catchy information
on cinema, art, music, theatre and other fun events in town.
Please contact the following email address for dimensions and costs.

ad at realtokyo.co.jp <mailto:ad at realtokyo.co.jp>

Please click the URL below to stop receiving email and to change
your password.
http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/scheduler/f_configure_en.htm
Users must go to the page above to make changes to their services;
REALTOKYO regrets that it is unable to process changes received by
email.

No part of the text or images from this site may be used
without permission from the publisher.

Copyright 2002 REALTOKYO