No subject

integer at www.god-emil.dk integer at www.god-emil.dk
Sat May 25 01:42:07 CEST 2002

>dear all,
>
>i hope you might be interested in the following text that was published in
>read_me 1.2 CD&book in an occasion of the first international software art
>festival read_me 1.2, moscow 2002
>
>olga
>

>Artistic Software for Dummies and, by the way, Thoughts About the New World Order.
>
>Olga Goriunova, Alexei Shulgin

very.beautiful. thank you for sharing.

so ... - http://www.membank.org/dataset/inter.body/propaganda.html

in which case I understand why Alexei Shulgin is so terrified by `nn`
and I hope he understands there isn't any other way to breathe in + out
simultaneously and without becoming ill.

NN

> [...]
>
> With the development and fundamental change of communicative space the
>role of the artist is changing again. Artist is not someone who creates
>images anymore; she rejects the idea of representation.
> Information overload becomes a common illness. An infinite number of
>images have already been created; they are kept in unerasable digital form
>in readily accessible databases. On the whole, the existing culture can
>already be represented as information currents that surround people and
>constantly try to penetrate their minds.
> The artist's mission now shifts from creating images to manipulating and
>redirecting information currents. The artist becomes, on one hand, the
>information filter, and on the other, its re-transmitter.
> This new role of the artist, then, in many ways becomes linked with the
>functions of communication and computer technologies: her activity is
>performed by means of networks and computers. The difference is that
>computers work on the basis of "bare" algorithms, while humans apply
>intuition, emotions and other non-rational elements - exactly those
>qualities that are beginning to disappear due to the influence of
>technology that makes everyone work rationally.  Thus design of networks,
>databases, computers and software becomes defining factor in modern
>culture. Software and computers tend to be seen exclusively as pragmatic
>tools for information processing; programmers are usually exceptionally
>pragmatic people whose rational side often prevails over all others.
>Therefore, the artist has to confront pragmatism with the methods she is
>well acquainted with, based on intuition and non-rationality.  Thus,
>artistic software appears.
>
> How does software art save non-rationality?
>
> One might ask, "How can software art be non-rational, if rational
>algorithms are what lies at its basis?"
> Yes, at the basis of each piece of software there are definite
>algorithms, but if conventional programs are instruments serving purely
>pragmatic purposes, the result of the work of artistic programs often
>finds itself outside of the pragmatic and the rational.
> Because the process of the digitalisation of culture and other components
>of social life is inevitable, it is necessary to consider adequate ideas
>and mechanisms for the transfer of those spheres into digital space, to
>find adequate conditions for their functioning within networks. How can we
>put forth such mechanisms, those which would preserve the remaining grains
>of the non-rational and metaphysical, those which could guarantee the
>safety of the society and protect it against further rationalisation?
>Artistic software, non-rational software, perhaps gives some answers to
>this question.
>
> Appendix. Most common characteristics of artistic software:
>- irony 18%
>- addressing political and social issues 10%
>- interface prevailing over functionality 20%

-
-
-

    /_/
                          /
             \            \/       i should like to be a human plant
                    __/
                                   i will shed leaves in the shade
        \_\                        because i like stepping on bugs

Netochka Nezvanova                   nezvanova at eusocial.com
                                    http://www.eusocial.com

                                http://www.ggttctttat.com/!
   n  r  .   5        !!!      http://steim.nl/leaves/petalz