[syndicate] war, peace and propaganda

Alan Schechner alan_schechner at bigfoot.com
Sun Mar 31 06:18:28 CEST 2002

Thanks for this Claudia - It's really important
I served in the Israeli army in the 1980's and have beeen on a lonely
fight here in the US to make people awate of the brutal and murderous
nature of the Israeli occupation,  I wrote a letter about this some time
ago to a local newspaper that can be seen here:

http://genug.weblogs.com/stories/storyReader$47

I've also got some work in the ongoing so called "controversial show"
Mirroring Evil at the Jewish museum in NYC.  The work in which I
manipulate Holocaust images as a way of making people aware in the ways
in which the israeli govt have and continue to manipulate the Holocaust
for there own political ends (almost always at the expence of the
palestinians), has been attacked by many in the Jewish community  as a
desecration of the Holocaust, and rejected by others because it is
political.  "can political art be good art" one critic wrote.
As the Art Journals and Art Institutions have got there hands on the
work I have been amazed at how the palestinian references in the work
have been written out of their analysis.  Instead (according to them) it
is me trying to "deal with my feelings" of surviving the Holocaust, of
not having been there in the concentration camps.
It's hard not to believe there is a conspiracy of silence that permeates
all elements of American society when it comes to talking about the
oppression of the Palestinians.

Thanks for spreading this info Claudia

Alan Schechner
www.dottycommies.com