non sequitur

Michael Watson mikejw at cruzio.com
Fri Mar 15 05:50:25 CET 2002

"for instance Lucifer in New York" — "So: What happened there is — now all
of you must adjust your brains —, the biggest work of art…"
In what followed, Stockhausen expressed his amazement at the deadly
efficiency involved in (Lucifer’s) art of war, of destruction.
"But what happened SPIRITUALLY, this jump out of security, out of the
self-evident, out of the every day life, this sometimes also happens in
art…or it is worthless. "

-- Karlheinz Stockhausen

The collective unconscious -- so far as we can say anything about it at all
-- appears to consist of mythological motifs or primordial images, for which
reason the myths of all nations are its real exponents. In fact, the whole
of mythology could be taken as a sort of projection of the collective
unconscious.

-- Carl Jung's "The Structure of the Psyche", 1927

Commandment 2: Make no idols. I am the maker. Those who create art will
compete with me. You may worship them and lose me.

-- Willis Barnstone (translation of the new testament)

How did you become what you visibly are? asks the painter.
The colloboration which sometimes follows is
seldom based on goodwill: more usually on de-
sire, rage, fear, pity, or longing. The modern illu-
sion concerning painting (which postmodernism
has done nothing to correct) is that artist is a
creator. Rather he is a reciever. What seems like
creation is the act of giving form to what he has recieved.

-- John Berger

some people wear their smile like a disguise
those people who smile a lot
watch the eyes

-- ani defranco

furher explorations of code as art; i think not; not every beautiful thing
is art

i dreamt of her again; i let myself want her; i reached for her; she pulled
back in disgust "i don't want you!"
"how can i want you when you don't want yourself?"

wild feral child,
michael