[syndicate] Re: Yes, but is it art?

Michael Watson mikejw at cruzio.com
Tue Mar 12 04:38:30 CET 2002

>bertrand wrote:
>are the virus makers doing the job with some kind of "smart" email ?
>and do they hire outlook ?

smart in the sense that the email contains an attachment that contains code
instructions. the trick is to get ppl to open the attachment (execute the
code). we computer ppl cannot expect ppl to be able to recognize code.
microsoft (outlook) is at fault for making it ridiculouly easy to fool ppl.
there is _no_ reason to allow code to be executed from within email. the
attachment should be saved first and then executed if so desired, which
means the person knows what he/she is doing.

my favorite email virus is the sircam virus which hit last year. it would
pick a document from your hard drive and mail it to everyone in your email
address book. if you were working on a note to your mistress then it might
(randomly) mail it to your wife. ha! i gave my own worst case scenario to
www.salon.com. mine is the second entry. enjoy.

http://www.salon.com/tech/inbox/archives/2001/07/31/1425/index.html

i have some ideas for some benign viruses that might be considered "art".
many virus writers are quite dumb and don't realize they can be traced back.
you have to inject it at a location that you are not easiy associated with.

michael

urban legend designer