Ballettikka Internettikka 2: final report

intima igor.stromajer at guest.arnes.si
Fri Mar 29 12:45:47 CET 2002

Report about the realization of the project:

Ballettikka Internettikka - Part Two | ballet.net
http://www2.arnes.si/~ljintima2/ballet/ballet_2/www/index.html

1. NEWS

I. Stromajer and B. Zorman are safely back home, after they
realized the illegal net performance entitled "Ballettikka Internettikka -
 Part Two | ballet.net" in Bolshoi Theatre.

2. EVENT

Ballettikka Internettikka: Part Two - ballet.net took place in The
Bolshoi Theatre on the International Bolshoi Day on March 28th
2002. On that day The Bolshoi Theatre Group performed the opera
by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov "The Tzars Bride" on the main stage.

3. REPORT

First it was unknown how the ballet.net.dancer - I.S. and the
ballet.net.composer B.Z. are going to enter The Bolshoi Theatre on
that day, but they were preparing 3 different options/plans to do it.
All options were illegal.

(no go) Option N.1: JamesBond
- tickets for the The Tzars Bride were bought in advance. Both
artists wanted to enter Bolshoi using the main entrance for the
audience & dance at the Bolshoi's toilet (at 20:00 GMT+3, one hour
after the opera started on the main stage).
FAILED: the security guards discovered laptops, mobile phones,
cameras etc in artist's bags. I.S. and B.Z. decided to leave the
building at 18:44 GMT+3 (no sanctions were taken against them and
the security stuff was very kind).

(GO!) Option N.2: ARTinvasion
- at 19:49 GMT+3 both artists re-entered The Bolshoi Theatre via
small window in the left wing of the building and performed the
ballet.net action in the abandoned part of the cellar. They
successfully left the building at 20:17 GMT+3.

(no go) Option N.3:
- to give US Dollars to the doorkeeper at the staff-entrance and to
enter the building using the instrument of payola was not used.

All three options included emergency escapes from the building.

This illegal action was carefully studied as an invasion. Watches
were synchronized and all the details were prepared. Artists used hi-
tech mobile and wireless equipment for invasion and live
broadcasting (portable computers, mini digital camera, MP3 audio
systems, mobile WAP telephones etc). Laptop and MiniDV cam,
together with Webcam32 (version 6.0) software were used for
visual signal broadcasting (running over Intima Virtual Base FTP
server). Another laptop and MP3 player with online interface
SHOUTcast (version 1.8.3/win32), was used for live sound
broadcasting (running over Beitthron FTP server). Russian GSM
mobile phone operator MTS/RUS (Mobile Telesystems 2, GSM
900) was used for mobile internet connection.

4. LIVE BROADCASTING

Live broadcasting of this illegal ballet.net performance started on
March 28th 2002 at 20:00 GMT+3, Moscow time (18:00 Paris time
CET - Central European Time; 12:00 New York time), and lasted
exactly 11 minutes (until 20:11 GMT+3 local Moscow time). It was
available at Ballettikka Internettikka website plus at TV.INTIMA.
Project was publicly announced in advance (also in Russia).

5. MOTIVATION

"We shall fight them on the beaches. We shall fight them on the
landing grounds. We shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we
shall fight in the hills. We shall never surrender." (W. Churchill)

6. DATA

produced by:
intima | virtual base
http://www.intima.org
2002
Beitthron
http://www.ljudmila.org/beitthron

[] [] []

www2.arnes.si/~ljintima2/oppera
www2.arnes.si/~ljintima2/ballet
www2.arnes.si/~ljintima2/cam
www.bolshoi.ru

ballet performed by Igor Stromajer
original music composed & performed by Brane Zorman - MC Brane

- - -

final report posted by intima | virtual base