[syndicate] Re: Yes, but is it art?

Michael Watson mikejw at cruzio.com
Tue Mar 12 04:20:35 CET 2002

At 10:05 AM 3/12/02 +1100, you wrote:

>>to take this reasoning further you should hire a bulk email company and spam
>>the whole world. seriously. has any artist ever done this?
>
>not 2 my know.ledge......[doens't mean it hasn't been done, though;)]

i agree with the definition of spam as unsolicted _commercial_ email so i am
not a spammer if i send poetry to ppl who i don't know. i have been
experimenting with making up email names (luvyou, hotguy, etc...) and
appending @yahoo.com and @hotmail.com. then i send them a message of love
and invite them to send me one back. surprising.

>just b.cause i perceive the net.work as a whole, a tapestry of
>potentialities of defor][com][m][unic][ation doesn't mean i advocate [or
>carry out] _blanket spamming_ activity.....this sys.t][n][e][t][m displays
>n.tricate s][ilicon][ymbiotic tendencies which shift & pulse data via
>n.finite variations...just as i don't c a mailing lists such as syndicate
>as static or x.clusively filled with a group of n.tities that r
>non-changing & there4 r all hyperaware of how the forum ][can][
>function][s][, i don't perceive mailing list as non-communal in scope or
>][wo][manifestation.........
>
>my. p][ercept][atterning. is. reticular.

yes, the net is beautiful and the possibilities are largely unexplored.
there is so much data that many ppl choose an editor (list moderator) and
trust he/she will keep them supplied with data that pleases them. the
classification of your writing as OFF-TOPIC (what the hell is that anyway?
-- whatever the moderator says it is) hurts you and that is understandable
since the list you were banned from is supposedly about "...artistic
practice and theory". the world is full of small-minded ppl. attributing to
you the "deterioration of the culture of the list" is total bullshit because
ppl can filter you. if ppl don't know how to do this then it would be
trivial to post instructions.

i view cross-posting as the posters' view of a community of communities.
that some readers have the same view of this meta-community and thus recieve
the same post multi-times is not a concern of the poster. again filters exist.

i don't filter because i like serendipity. even spam is sometimes amusing.
even trolls can be amusing (which you certainly are not)

>not sure if i c _my message_ [& by this i take u 2 mean the fluttering
>code.symbology i use in my mezangelled wurks] as focused, but more
>flu][idic][vial.....do u c this as perpetuating hierarchical data methods?

the coder in me likes mezangelle. it makes visible in a pleasing way the
surprising synergy/overlap between words and meaning. mezangelle is a
message in itself, but i was refering to additional message of the content
of your writing. surely you see that as the more important component? i
think we both see the net as a data sea but i recognize the existence of
data islands where my message is not appropriate (and i think you do to).

michael

i look in the mirror and am happy to see all my wrinkles are smile wrinkles