pretty lies...

info at furtherfield.org info at furtherfield.org
Sun Jun 23 03:30:40 CEST 2002

BlankThis capricious idea which is drowned in an external facade - is nothing but a dream a pretty lie
In time you will learn, yet fears dig deep suggesting that time will be nothing but a tentative barometer
Things look and seem in the right place, everything is exact to your required and lustful measurement
A glowing example of the human race, parading the perfect example of what others should aspire to be
A design - designed to make free spirits worry, worry about the outer space between them and others
On this archetypal product a veneer glows like a glaze which hides the rust that eats away inside
How can one be free when faced by stereo - typical - post - idealists, declaring war on self love
Pictorial delusion infests all hope and advertises a template of which all lost eyes infest on
This mutation of the exterior is merely a polish to hide the inferior mythology which presumes style
It slips and slides and poses grace, hinting pure face as it sniggers choosing a vacuous Armour
And you are fooled by this tinsel wrapping, which reflects how unrealized you really are
This invented criterion is a visual soap opera created for the empty heart who fears the mind
As the recommended lie oozes into place, the myth becomes a reality pertaining the lowest denominator
Dictating the way, the way we should be - deconstructed, instructed - told and sold a classic ideal
It threatens inner smiles and is crushed under steel, it squeals under emotional blackmail
For systematic creed identity is pushed aside for the chosen utopia re - invented, invested
Lives are re - constructed losing thy original core which once burned proud and warm
Post - human triviality distorts our realities, opting for the shield that covers our true selves
Soon we will become acceptable by the soul - less eyes who judge other peoples lives
ENTRENCHED clothed in facile styles, dissected and conformed to the ultimate self mutilation
And all this is because one must concede and conform to someone else's pretty lies

marc garrett (1989)