internationale-sommerakademie Frankfurt a. M., August 23 - 31

claudia westermann media at ezaic.de
Wed Jun 19 23:31:53 CEST 2002

http://www.internationale-sommerakademie.de/english/index.html

True truth about the nearly real: With the loss of master narratives,
society and the arts have lost an extensive part of their possibility
to establish clear ethical, political but also aesthetic positions.
New representational frames, shifts of cultural, political, and
scientific paradigms question our concepts of identity, reality and
ethics.
But how and in which respect do our realities crack? Which new
ciphers are needed to understand the world? In which way can these
points either be a departure for or the effect of an artistic event?
The 4th Summer Academy will take questions as such into account by
focussing on the act of perception itself: On the one hand it
investigates the concept of fake as a means of questioning
traditional notions of biography, reliability of perception, and
quality of representation as intersubjective denominators. What "is"
that screen upon which I look, and how does this screen affect my
gaze?
On the other hand, the notion of perception implies the question of
perspective and spectatorship. Through which modes have spectatorial
positions been reorganised, both as 'manipulation' and as a critical
stance, with the emergence of new media and political agendas? And
has the spectator updated his/her perspective in a similar manner? It
seems that the question of aesthetics today is no longer a question
of organising form and content, but rather of a matter unfolding
ideologies of perspective - as fake, 'truth', experience, adventure,
spectator, process, institution, politics, or simply: identity.

The Atlas Group (LIB/USA) - Damaged Goods (B) - Diedrich Diederichsen
(D) - Tim Etchells (Forced Entertainment, GB) - Jan Fabre (B) - Harun
Farocki (D) - William Forsythe (D) - Adrian Heathfield (GB) -
Nikolaus Hirsch (D) - Hygiene Heute (CH/D) - Jan Kopp (D/F) -
Hans-Thies Lehmann (D) - André Lepecki (USA) - Xavier Le Roy (F/D) -
Gerhard Johann Lischka (CH) - Hans Peter Litscher (CH) - Molly Nesbit
(USA) - Hans Ulrich Obrist (CH/F) - Walid Raad (LIB/USA) - Martha
Rosler (USA) - Rebecca Schneider (USA) - Gerald Siegmund (D) - Meg
Stuart (B) - Unfriendly Takeover (D) - Markus Weisbeck (D)