post time based arts: real-time economy

anna balint epistolaris at freemail.hu
Fri Jun 14 15:37:46 CEST 2002

from Doors of Perception

Who invented the 'real-time economy'?
Date: 06 June 2002
Two months ago we asked you who invented this suddenly fashionable (in California) new concept
- and we quoted Ivan Illich using the words at Doors 5 on Speed in 1996. Bill Gillies now writes to
remind us that Don Tapscott, who is indeed a wise person, discussed the real-time enterprise in his
1992 book Paradigm Shift, and further developed the idea of a real-time economy in The Digital
Economy. A technically-inclined reader reminded us that computer scientists have been
researching the subject, not just talking about it, for ages. Tony Graham, Director of the Unicorn
Theatre in London, then told us that John Cage and the Fluxus artists talked of little else but
real-time during the 1960s. We checked, and then found several references to real-time in the
polemics of the Italian futurist Marinetti - and that was in 1910. Any advance
(or retreat) on 1910?  Send you answer to our editor.
editor at doorsofperception.com

Quatations:
We are moving out of the age in which speed seems a naturally given certainty.We might already have moved into the
the age of 'real time'.

Speed is one of those terms by which contemporaries imprison themselves in a world -- 'huis clos' -- out of which there
is no exit.

We might be already beyond the age of speed by having moved into the age of 'real time'.

Speed thrills, speed kills, speed invites to be controlled.

Speed, understood  as a social expression of velocity, represents a reduction of that which speed meant, namely,
vitality. People seek Presence, being Here, being
Now, being - and this is the English word - Quick.

Most great cultures which I know do not require any compulsionate obligatory education. They do not know the idea of
'homo educantos'. They did not move into the
direction of believing that human beings are born with a lack, which sucking from institutional nipples called schools or
educational devices or the Internet has to
offset. (Doors of Perception 4, 1996)
Ivan Illich

© Doors of Perception 2002 We are happy for this text to be copied and distributed, as long
as you include this credit: "From Doors of Perception: www.doorsofperception.com".
Want to comment on this story? Email editor at doorsofperception.com