re> article to be approved

anna balint epistolaris at freemail.hu
Sat Jun 29 17:37:09 CEST 2002

hereby i let the jodi mails go.

underground aesthetics always accepted and emphasised errors, for instance
Robert Filliou conceived himself more as a bricoleur, and not so much an artist,
Juergen Olbrich walked around in different cities in the photocopy shops to collect the
waste and the junk people threw away, and explored this way the medium,
debian manifesto says "look at the other side first",

and when about attack and distruction, jodi is nothing
compared to the way Monty Cantsin announces that he is going to visit for example
the Ludwig Museum in Koeln - and I know that i immediately have to find a lawyer.
or Alexander Brener also should  remind something most of the syndicate readers.

however, dear jodis, i would like to keep access to syndicate cheap if possible,
i appreciate concise errorisation...
keep short  -
or the website???

it s not possible to filter jodi's mails - here is the first time where the supposition on which
we based the syndicate [self] moderation fails.
i have tried many things - and most of times I failed...
the sympa software worked so far perfectly - Atle, you don't know how many times I praised
you - it helped handle spams, non-subscribers mails, everything... but here is an art project.

I constantly feel two models of the web-besed communication tested.
One is the web page publication - so many people have web based forums,
magazines, where topics are grouped, users regularily check the website,
and interaction is also allowed sometimes - see eg. e-mainefsta.org -
that is a more centralised mode of communication

the other model is the mailing [mailing out content] - and the mailing list which is closer to the
communication art scene traditions, where interaction is spontaneous, irregular, non-moderated and decentralised.

when there is such a hype of sofware art, there are relatively few softwares dealing with information and communicaton
design. however, I have seen one model matching partially those two ways of communication - a software developed
by Sara Diamond, launched in Budapest last year at the Digitised Bodies exhibition curated by Nina Czegledi.
the code zebra software's interface design coincides with the ideal of isotypical graphic representation. [Otto Neurath
started in 1925 to develop the rules of a new method of graphic statistics for the Gesllschafts- und Wirtschaftmuseum
in Vienna. his methods of isotypical graphic representaton advise  the expression of similar content by similar figures,
and the expression of quantity by repetiton and not by enlarging.]
Code zebra [http://www.codezebra.net] is an interactive web-based mailing software. it's illustrative elements supports
and points to content, and does not distract attention. it's visual abstraction emphasises the semiotics of the dialogue:
perception and interaction is modeling the form and forms the in-formation. it keeps the mailing space informal, there is
no such as main or secondary or sub-thread, neither does push the attention. it automatically shapes forms and groups
mails around topics and discussions.  it works on the ground of a self-constructive ecosystem, and visually it shapes
the mails in an interface build of animal metaphors. even if it was not designed especially with this purpose, it bears with
all attitudes: attacks, spams have no relevance in such an environment. if they do not raise interest, they just remain
isolated cells in the net of hundreds of mail-cells. certainly it does not force anyone to give up his or her interest,
anyone can pick up a thread, even months or years later.
the performance of Sara Diamond in Budapest also emphasised the animal metaphor of the interface. she said that she
conceived her sofware after carefully studying many mailinglist and chat rooms, and the way people communicate in
these spaces. her conclusion is obvious from the visual appearance of the software, communication is not just a basic,
ancient need, but its patterns and styles keep trace of the animal contacts and communication.

dear syndicalists, and jodi,
till we have opportunity to use such a software
please bear with us.

greetings,
anna balint