claudia westermann media at ezaic.de
Thu Jun 13 15:44:40 CEST 2002

>X=> MIRROR]{

What is the subject of Mirror , its idea, moral plot, development, denouement?

The writer of that question clearly considers that all those things
are essential in any work of art. In reality the concept of things
that 'have to be' is incompatible with art. A work of art, of
whatever art form, is constructed only according to its won
principles, and is based on its own, inner, dynamic stereotype. In
fact I can answer like a demagogue: in Mirror there are subject and
denouement, and all the other things listed in the question.

Is there symbolism in Mirror?

No! The images themselves are like symbols, but unlike accepted
symbols they cannot be deciphered. the image is like a clot of life,
and even the author may not be able to work out what it means, let
alone the audience. Pushkin's "My sadness is radian" is not a symbol
but a an image. Tolstoy's dying Ivan Ilych feels as if he is confined
inside a narrow intestine pipe, and cannot get out. What he feels is
what the sick mans says. As long ago as the Middle Ages Japanese
writers were decrying the interpretation of symbols in art. And quite
rightly! The fewer symbols the better! Symbolism is a sign of
decadence.

I should like to ask you all not to be so demanding, and not to think
of Mirror as a difficult film. It is no more than a straightforward,
simple story. It doesn't have to be made any more understandable.

http://skywalking.com/tarkovsky/tmirror.html

// hello, hello ...
// when there will be only one country in future, will there not even
be one extra country for reporters ?
// frederic? are you a reporter ? ....

// claudia