new MA in Media Design

lisa lisa at lisa.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 5 14:18:41 CEST 2002

I am sending this on behalf of my colleague matthew fuller.
please circulate to any prospective students!

best to all,

lisa

Announcing a new MA in Media Design

Piet Zwart Institute, Rotterdam, The Netherlands

The MA in Media Design is a new course offered by the Piet Zwart
Institute.  We are the postgraduate centre for art and design of the
Willem de Kooning Academy, Hogeschool Rotterdam.

Systems not surfaces

Too often,  media design has simply been the arrangement of pixels and
plug-ins.  For us, the computer and the networks are where dynamics
that are aesthetic, social, political, technical, spatial, linguistic,
rythmnic, economic, numerical, meet and shape each other.  The role of
the designer is to track, sort and remix these dynamics in relation to
others.

Technology, theory, practice

In a working context where software is doing half the thinking and
doing for you, where is the divide between theory, technology and
practice?  This course is commited to a fundamental revaluation of the
division between these terms.  We will look for and invent the
technology that is in media philosophy; find the conceptuality of an
operating system; and design in a way that synthesises the power of all
three.

The MA course lasts two years and is carried out as a series of group
and self-initiated projects.  In certain cases participation in single
projects may be arranged. Core themes in our programme are:
transmission, use, behaviour, and experience; knowledge and memory; the
political economy of the information society; citizens and consumers,
public and private identities; urban and virtual reality, network and
diaspora.

Find more information at http://pzwart.wdka.hro.nl/

Applications for 2002-2003 are welcome until September 1.

For further information contact Femke Snelting, F.Snelting at hro.nl