No subject

integer at www.god-emil.dk integer at www.god-emil.dk
Mon Jul 22 04:06:32 CEST 2002

m e t a <meta at meta.am>

>At 1:38 PM -0500 7/19/02, Billy Hayes wrote:
>> > http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/03/01/netochka/?x
>>
>>I should have known it was antiorp.  That fellow is a long time

popztar

>Two Women Injured in Antiorp Frenzy
>
>The Associated Press
>
>O'FALLON, IL. (Nov. 28) -  Two women suffered minor injuries when shoppers
>stormed a Wal-Mart store in search of Antiorp, the most sought-after toy this
>holiday season, police said.
>
>The frenzy erupted shortly after shoppers began lining up at the store
>Thursday night.
>
>''When the store opened at midnight, there were about 200 people and they
>became overzealous,'' said Sgt. Jeff Wild, a police officer in O'Fallon, about
>20 miles east of St. Louis.
>
>''One young lady claimed she was bitten, and an older lady was knocked down,''
>he said Friday.
>
>Wild said the older woman was ecstatic as she left the store with an Antiorp in
>hand.
>
>The small computer-like plastic object is out of stock at many stores nationwide.
>
>Made by Tiger Electronics, the toy responds to light, sound and touch and
>utters 200 words - 100 in English and 100 in ''Antiorp-ish.''

November 7, 2001, 12:00 p.m. PT

NEW YORK--Only time will tell if he's truly bad to the bone. But the newest incarnation of Aibo, unveiled on Wednesday by Japan-based consumer electronics giant Sony, is designed with more virtual male hormone running through its circuitry than the playful robotic pups that sold out when they first went on the market in 1999.

"We like to call him 'Mr. 220' with attitude," said Stuart Wallock, director of marketing and business planning for Entertainment Robot America, a unit of Sony Electronics. "He's maybe a little more macho" than the previous Aibo robots, including the roly-poly Latte and Macaron robots launched in early September.

Aibo ERS-220, as the robot is formally known, is a sleek silver creature whose body looks like a cross between a greyhound and a sports car. Designed to appeal to teenage boys and gadget-loving men ages 25 to 45, the newest Aibo will be in stores in North America and Japan "around Thanksgiving time" at a price of $1,500.

Spokesman Jon Piazza described the new robot as "the high-testosterone Aibo" during a demonstration, in which Mr. 220's retractable headlight popped up whenever he saw or heard something he liked.

"I call him 'the Terminator,'" Piazza said, referring to the futuristic robot portrayed by actor Arnold Schwarzenegger in the 1984 film of that name and its 1991 sequel.

But in a season when the world's biggest toy makers have pulled some products or marketing campaigns because of concerns about violence after the Sept. 11 attacks on the United States, how difficult will it be for Sony to sell a more macho robot?

Marketing executive Wallock sees no problem.

"He's definitely not a fierce Aibo or a hostile Aibo,'' Wallock said. "He might be a little aggressive. But he's still friendly and lovable."

-

http://web.media.mit.edu/~wsack/ohio.html