yes

auriea a at e8z.org
Sun Jul 14 12:18:38 CEST 2002

http://wire.ap.org/APnews/center_story.html?FRONTID=AFRICA&STORYID=APIS7KO54RO0&IMAGEID=303313

During a break from a a similar meeting Friday, Uwawah described how
the women occupied the terminal carrying only bundles of food to eat.
``I was the leader of the air strip team. If any plane came, I would
drive my people there and we circled it,'' she said. ``We wouldn't
let anyone come in or anyone go out.''
After her success on the airfield, she chased administrative staff
out of the offices, Uwawah said. Other teams of women in bright
printed skirts shut down the docks and the helicopter pads, she said.
On Wednesday, about 100 police and soldiers armed with assault rifles
were sent to the terminal to protect the facility, but they were
under strict orders not to harm the women, Delta state police
commissioner John Ahmadu said.
Uwawah said the women weren't intimidated by security forces.
``If we die, Chevron will die with us,'' she said.