___ R E A L T O K Y O MAIL MAGAZINE Vol. 86___

OZAKI Tetsuya ozaki at blue.ocn.ne.jp
Fri Jul 12 09:15:28 CEST 2002

R    E    A    L    T    O    K    Y    O    MAIL MAGAZINE
_____7_12_2002_Fri_vol.86___________ http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

[This Week's Index]

(1) Out of Tokyo
Vol. 41: Thoughts on "Les Paravents"

(2) Tokyo Editors' Diary
Vol. 003: Baba Masataka (A)

(3) Event Pick of the Week
Kosaka Jun Exhibition: jun.com

(4) Presents
Smacksoft live

This week's RT Picks:

art+cinema+music+stage+design+town = 52 events
including 13 new ones!
Plus new entries on our 'book/disk' page.

Check them out!

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

(1) Out of Tokyo

Vol. 41: Thoughts on "Les Paravents"

A play based on Jean Genet's "Les Paravents" was shown at Setagaya Public
Theatre
in early July. The piece was first staged in Berlin in 1961, and when shown
at the
Odeon Theatre in Paris in 1966 it ended in a major scandal because of the
play's
sarcastic and critical view of the Algerian War of Independence (1954-62).
With a
duration of at least three hours and a half, and a cast of about 100
characters, this
stage version was produced by French director Frederic Fisbach, who applied the
techniques of Japanese Joruri puppet drama to the dialogues, and employed next
to real actors the puppets of the Joruri-oriented Yuki-za puppet theatre
company.

Read more at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/en/column/ozaki41.htm

(2) Tokyo Editors' Diary

Vol. 003: Baba Masataka "A" magazine

Bookshop Cafe

I'm currently wrestling with my work for the "R-project," which was launched by
designers and creators who took part in last year's "Tokyo Designers Block" in
Aoyama, as well as several companies and investors. IDEE president Kurosaki
Teruo functions as a kind of organizer for the project, the name of which
stands
for keywords such as 'Rethink,' 'Renovation' etc. That's actually the same
kind of
story as with our magazine's name "A," the letter for 'Architecture,'
'Art,' 'Anonymous'...

Read more at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/en/diary/0003-henshucho.htm

(3) Event Pick of the Week

Kosaka Jun Exhibition: jun.com

REALTOKYO's art director, Kosaka Jun originally comes from architecture,
but his
works include as well computer graphics and digital art that uses Flash or
original
applications. The impetus for such creative output probably comes from the
strong
and direct will to define the status of contemporary art from both the
technical and
the ideological perspective, by combining cutting-edge technology and
expressiveness.
  In this solo exhibition Kosaka gives an extensive introduction to his
varied fields of
interest, exhibiting visual artworks, architectural works, programs, and
others.
Apparently he is also thinking about using the 'algorithm-less noise' of
RT's BBS page
for his artworks, and I wonder whether there's time for such things in his
busy schedule...
--Oz

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/event_cgi/ev_viewE.cgi?6,205

(4) Presents

While we are still accepting applications for tickets to the "Art.Bit
Collection"
exhibition, new on the Present page this week are invitations to a concert
of the
Korean indie band Smacksoft. The quartet around Bo Whang is in Japan for the
first time, appearing at the Asahi Art Festival 2002.

For more info check:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/en/present/present.htm

Next week on RT:

- Tokyo, 4 Weeks

- Tokyo Visitors' Book

- Presents

and more…

In order to make REALTOKYO even more interesting and convenient
for you, we rely on your feedback. Please send us opinions or
productive suggestions concerning contents, structure, layouts,
etc. Three especially lucky readers who send a mail to
info at realtokyo.co.jp.
will be chosen and receive a little gift.

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

------------------------PR-------------------------------------

ad at realtokyo.co.jp <mailto:ad at realtokyo.co.jp>

REALTOKYO is looking for advertisers wanting to place banners on
our web site and/or in the mail magazine. Banners will get lots of
hits from people attracted to a web site full of catchy information
on cinema, art, music, theatre and other fun events in town.
Please contact the following email address for dimensions and costs.

ad at realtokyo.co.jp <mailto:ad at realtokyo.co.jp>

Please click the URL below to stop receiving email and to change
your password.
http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/scheduler/f_configure_en.htm
Users must go to the page above to make changes to their services;
REALTOKYO regrets that it is unable to process changes received by
email.

No part of the text or images from this site may be used
without permission from the publisher.

Copyright 2002 REALTOKYO