Fwd: "October 100th issue"

anna balint epistolaris at freemail.hu
Thu Jul 18 22:57:34 CEST 2002

7/18/02 9:16:00 PM, Diana McCarty <diana at vifu.de> wrote:

>anna:
>
>Interesting how memory works.. I recall that you were one of the first
>women invited to join faces.. we sat in your kitchen drinking coffee.....

yes, interesting enough, different memories... i cannot dig out this story,
not even that i have ever invited you in my kitchen.

>the list not yet running. Fuzzy recollection, but you seemed uninterested
>in women only lists  and declined the invitation.  Later, when you wanted
>to join, if memory serves, you refused to send any bio or answer the other
>standard question of why you wanted to join...

it was an email exchange, something that you say is non-standard bio
[medievalist, archivist] and your refusal.
i don't know about standard procedure, other people told me that you
have simply put them on the list, and also that it was very boring.
i don't know. it is told that it a a cyberfeminist list.

I was curious about why you
>had changed your mind -

if it was only curiosity, than it is of course different...
i thought it was a professional matter
[for a list for woman working with new media, either i was not a woman,
or not working with new media]
the result still is, that i asked to subscribe - even if you remember vaguely,
and you refused. that is in my case, i don't know about mez.

but that only lead to conflicting messages being
>sent to myself and another moderator...

yes, i remember that. after your refusal i wrote to kathy rae huffmann as well,
i related about that i wnated to join the list and she agreed  with the refusal.
that still does nopt change: i could not subscribe to faces.

if all is matter of curosity and memories:
[personally] i would also be curious to one thing or other, for example what has lead you
to become even the gatekeeper of transmediale last year,
when you claimed in public that i have nothing to do there,
and i had no right not even to simply appear in the hall.
was transmediale not an open and public event?
in my memory it comes back that you only did not scraped me,
but you have interruputed my discussion with the Canadian cultural attache,
you have shouted to me, hustled me... funny event, after i did not even see you
since years, neither we did not have any discussion, not even an email exchange,
after this ominous non-subscription, if i count well  for 4 years.
what has happened to your memory in those years [from my kitchen - to transmediale]?
i can never know what to expect in case that i go somewhere - i take a shield for just in case...

Open archives and publications
>are not standard for mailing lists.

finally i can agree with something: it looks that only open mailing lists have open archives.

anna balint