Support for Sanja Ivekovic

anna balint epistolaris at freemail.hu
Sun Jan 20 18:03:41 CET 2002

This is the list of those who support Sanja Ivekovic contra the state curator
and signed Marina Griznic's statement in the weekend. See further opinions
as well. You can follow the development of the protest at anart.no/~syndicate
too. Thanks for your support. If there are others whoagree with the statement,
sign it by sendig an email to potemkin at freemail.hu, or via the web page.
greetings
anna

Silvija Chamber, Yugoslavia
Vesna Kesic, socilologist, Croatia
y.gal, digital artist, New York
Slavenka Drakulic, writer, Netherlands
Aneta Szylak, independent curator and at writer, Gdansk, Poland
Prof. Ryszard W. Kluszczynski, PhD. Head of Electronic Media Dept. University of Lodz, Poland.
In 1990-2001 Chief Curator of Film, Video, and Multimedia Art in The Centre for Contemporary Art, Warsaw.
Claudia Westermann, architect, dipl. ing., Germany

Prof. Ryszard W. Kluszczynski
This is one of the worst news I have received for a long time. Sanja
Ivekovic, a very good friend of mine, is the artist the work I respect very
much. Her political and social position as well as her artistic approach is
a very important part of the art world nowadays. I also have met several
times Leonida Kovac. I always thought she is a good, professional curator.
Now I do not know if I was wrong or there are just people who are unable to
be responsible or to resist the pressure. I do not now. What I know however
is that one should not do anything like Leonida did. Any curator who want to
respect himself or herself cannot behave like that. The curatorial job is
extremely important as curator is a bridge between the artist and the
public. The more power curator has the most responsible s/he is to be. I
cannot see that in the decision of Leonida Kovac. I believe the project of
Sanja will be realised in Sao Paulo somehow. I hope Leonida Kovac will
understand what curator should never do. But even then world is not going to
stay the same.

Claudia Westermann
\'Oh\', said the person with the golden cage to the bird, \'you want to fly?  But didn\'t I tell you that this is only allowed
on Sundays?\'
... and to and fro on the lovely swing they go, all the birds in the golden  cages.
\'Play the game according to my rules\', the person added.
\'We are talking about art here. So, comfortable, please!\'